New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best bullet for deer sized game 7 STW
 Login/Join

<Sniper>
posted
Starting to work on a load for this cartridge and was wondering if anyone wanted to share some "in the field" experiences. Estimated range of shot opportunities could be anywhere from 10-350 yards. I have started working on the 139 grain Hornady SST.

<rickdm>
posted
Sniper, I will be curious to see the replies you get. I have been working up loads for a new 7mm STW and started off with a 150 grain Nosler BT at about 3100 fps thinking that it would be a great deer load. I am now finishing up loads for a 140 grain Partition which will end up somewhere between 3300 and 3400 fps. Next up is the Hornady SST's in 139 grain, which I want to see if they will be more accurate than the Partitions (though the Partitions are looking pretty good right now). I am thinking that any of those three bullets will be pretty good for deer. Next up is loading for a 175 grain Grand Slam that should make a pretty good African plains load.

Of course I have never actually shot anything live with this rifle, so I have no idea what effect it will have on game, but I hope to remedy that soon.

Regards,
Rick

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed over two dozen game animals with the 7mm stw.Over half of those mostly large canadian deer with a bighorn and antelope thrown in were killed with the 140 gr ballistic tip.The rest which included several elk and deer and a moose were killed with the 140 gr partition.I have encountered no problems at all with getting quick clean kills and see no reason to use heavier bullets in this caliber.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote