New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Reloading Equipment
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I started out with Lee, it got the job done for about a year. Then I purchased new equipment from CH.

Their "H" press is as fast as using a turrent press, but much more stable.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The BOSS is a good press and stoutly built. You did very well for your first press. Along with your dies, you will need a scale to weigh you powder. Get a good one and some check wieghts. As for powder measure, if you are going to start with the 25-06, I do recomend the lee prefect powder measure and a trickler for most of the powders used in the 25-06. If you want even cheaper, go with the lee dippers, they are more accurate than people give them credit for. Also, Lee equipement is not all junk, I like the dies, and their hand priming tool is very good. Also, lee's new cast press is very well made. I have several single stage presses, and for my progressive's I have a Lee loadmaster, and a dillon. The lee is faster with pistol than rifle due to their one size fits all thiking on the "universil rifle die kit" but a little time with the lathe and it will beat the dillon that is bolted down next to it. The dillon is great, but the lee stuff is a bargin, and with a little work, they will beat most other reloaders and cost less. Others will want to debate that, but if you are a bit of a tinkerer, the progressive lee press will run with the best, and in some cases beat higher priced presses. Plus it is hell for stout.

Posts: 134 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started out with a Rockchuker in 1982. Still have it. I mounted it on a long thick plank and lend it to anyone I know who wants to start reloading. As a bachelor for 45 of 47 years the presses (9) have just accumulated! If you think you might ever want to load more than one rifle caliber consider a turret press. I now have a Redding T-7 set up for three calibers, with extra turret heads with dies in place sitting on the shelf. Very handy. The Forster Co-Ax gets my nod for long range match ammo where dimensions and alignment of components is more critical. If you might do some case forming think about a press with compound linkage like the Redding Ultramag. Get comfortable with the process before considering a progressive. Honestly I have had very good customer service from RCBS, Redding, Dillon, Lee and Hornady. Here is one little pearl: get the cheap little Lee aluminum C style press (~$19.95) and use it with a universal deprimer to knock all your primers out. The primer residue is abrasive and can gum up the main shaft on your fancy press pretty quickly. Thanks to Glen Zedicker for that idea and why didn't I think it up myself 20 years ago?? Finally, pick high quality equipment, then look for a good price on it, not the other way around. Good equipment makes reloading a pleasure; marginal pot metal makes it the mother of all chores.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I'm still putting it all together. Just picked up a Hornady powder trickler on ebay, new, for 5.50. I'm not against the Lee equipment in any way, and think the new Lee Classic may be the best single stage press on the market for the money. I hope to have everything ready to go in the next couple of weeks.

TJ

Posts: 66 | Location: Western KY Coalfields | Registered: 11 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
Dillon was my choice when I bought my first press. I got the 550B and have been thankful ever since that I made that choice. I load 24 cartridges on this press and it's just great. Really good support from the mfg. and solid equip. You have to realize that none of the companies would last very long if their products didn't perform, especially in the relativly small circle of reloaders. I believe you will really regret a single stage setup so don't even give that option a second thought. My Dillon press has produced some very accurate loads and serves me well. I don't have experience with the other presses out there but I bet they all have pros and cons like anything else. I do use a wide range of dies and have found that the Redding seems to be my die of choice. You must get the carbide dies for pistol if you shoot a lot.
Best of luck on your new endeavor. May your marriage survive it!

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote