Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tried annealing brass with a plastic welder
 Login/Join

posted
Bought it from Harbor freight and it blows heat (much like a heat gun) upto 850f. I tried it on about 5 cases and never saw a change in color, just got my fingers pretty warm.

Has anyone tried the Transformer core method?

I just can't spend $300 on a rotating brass annealer!

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't recommend " Heat Guns or plastic welders for annealing brass !!!!!!!!!!!.

Takes far to long and heats way more of the brass than necessary as that in it's self is real dangerous .

Neck and Shoulder area needs to be heated to 720-750 degrees for only an instant and

brass cases will anneal perfectly . A propane or Map gas torch with a pin point flame aimed at the

neck while case is turned or turning is Ideal . As that uniformly anneals a case .

archer archer archer

Borrowed from Ken Light

The critical time and temperature at which the grain structure reforms into something suitable for case necks is 662 degrees (F) for some 15 minutes. A higher temperature, say from 750 to 800 degrees, will do the same job in a few seconds. If brass is allowed to reach temperatures higher than this (regardless of the time), it will be made irretrievably and irrevocably too soft.

Read up ; http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I read that article, good stuff.
I am trying to find a way to build a machine that will do the process more efficiently. Not a lot of "plans" posted on the internet for this.
Also, still trying to figure out how to build an iduction coil that I could just place the neck in and make it very quick and easy. Any ideas?

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
GD64,
That is the tool that got me interested in Induction heating. The tool is way to expensive for me, but I have seen some guys on youtube that build these and nuke things with them. They never show in depth how to build one though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc224/375:
Takes far to long and heats way more of the brass than necessary as that in it's self is real dangerous . Neck and Shoulder area needs to be heated to 720-750 degrees for only an instant and brass cases will anneal perfectly . ...
Reminds me of when a buddy told me "Barsness" and some other fool recommended using a "Candle" to Anneal Cases with. rotflmo

Same exact problem as Doc mentioned. " IF " Barsness had ever tried it he would have realized how big of a fool it made him look to claim that it worked. PITIFUL!!!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote