New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS X Dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
SmilerAny one out there use the RCBS X dies? Was wondering if it works as well as advertised for keeping trimming down to a minimun.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you will get a number of answers, but I use them for my service rifles, producing practice ammo in 3006 and 7.62, to supplement bought ammo.

Starting with new military pulldown brass and trimming to the minimal/same length as per instructions, the brass grew a bit under the maximum trim length and stabilized there.

After 10 reloads, I routinely discarded the brass, which I processed in lots of 100, as the brass usually won't size down enough as per my case/headspace gauges.

During the life of the brass, I never had to trim the cases, length stayed right under the max.

I typically load 3500+ rounds a season of practice ammo and I find they do work.

hth

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerWELL guess the x die did what it was suposed to! Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I reciently purchased a set in 8 MM Mauser. But it's too early to report. I loaded 500 new cases with them. They seemed to work well. I'll find out after a few fireings. billt

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto what iamgene said. I also have to tell you that I've broken a few decapping pins. They work, but you must set that die, never change it, and always use it, or all is lost.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerI don't use the decapping pins on the dies to remove the primer. I always remove the primers from the cases with a lee decapper as the first thing I do in case preperation. I remove the pins from RCBS dies as I am not going to use them anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckshot:
Ditto what iamgene said. I also have to tell you that I've broken a few decapping pins. They work, but you must set that die, never change it, and always use it, or all is lost.

Or you can keep a sample, resized case and use it to reset the mandrel if it becomes necessary to take the die apart (like to replace or tighten a decapping pin).

To answer the original question, I use them in 260 Remington and 223 Remington (the two calibers I shoot in competition) and they do work as advertised. Once you do the initial trim, you can skip that step (and chamfering and deburring) for the life of the case.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I sure do like them as I hate to trim brass..they work..I decap with my dies, never been a problem..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote