New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for users of quickload
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm thinking of buying quickload and was wondering if it is worth the purchase price. Is it accurate? What are the pros and cons. Thanks

Posts: 65 | Location: Upstate New York | Registered: 06 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy it.

I value it more than any reloading manual I have but not more than all my manuals.

You can reload without it.

I've spent $125+ more stupidly.

It gave my wife a "ez choice" for a x-mas present--kinda like she tells me what perfume she likes.

It's quite accurate but has no idea if you have a "slow" or "FAST" gun or lot of powder or any combination of the two.

I would buy it (or have the wife buy it) again in a heartbeat!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a copy and I bet you will like it. Although it is very easy to use but you still need to know what you are doing to get some good data. There are a lot of parameters that need to set properly and it is very easy to overlook some of these settings. Overall, it is worth a lot more than a few reloading manuals combined. Good luck.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i find it useful for "what if" analysis. I have posted a number of comparisons of quickload simulations vs published data, search under my user number 9585.

I use a combination of a reloading program and loading manuals to keep out of trouble.

And remember, since velocity is related to the area under the pressure curve, most programs predict velocity reasonably close since this is like an "average" but peak pressure is much more elusive for these progaram to predict accurately.

steve505

Posts: 357 | Location: Florissant, Colorado  | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking of buying quickload and was wondering if it is worth the purchase price. Is it accurate? What are the pros and cons. Thanks

Hi Turkey shooter'

I've got Quickload and like it very much. I load for several wildcats and it's the best source for loading data. As with any loading data, it is only a referance and not the bible. Start low and always work up slow. I've found most of the hot loads in this program are really hot, not like in the loading manuals. I've had troubles trying to reach the hotloads in this quickload program. The thing I like best is it gives you several different powders to try and also gives you the loading density of the powders. In my opinion, It's well worth the money.

The Big Dog

Posts: 89 | Location: Tacoma, Wash, USA | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
<FZY>
posted
How does Quickload compare to Accuload II?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
QL has a HUGE range, and claims to be withing 5% +/-. Works for me, as that's about 100% better than guessing what a load will do, without a chrono.

No, wait... buy a chrono FIRST, and then QL, or any other software for this, and COMPARE the results. sometimes higher, sometimes lower.

jeffe

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For me it's something to play with when the wife is out and the kids are in bed.

quickTARGET which comes with it is excellent indeed - right on the money.

quickLOAD is a great resource BUT is not foolproof. As has been stated it doesn't recognise a tight chambered rifle. I generaly use the pressure and MV ignoring charge weight for the most part.

If you take primer/brass/extraction signs, MV and quickload you can build up a good idea of where your loads are.

BTW all of the early speer 6ppc loads are dangerous according to quickLOAD. [Frown] [Eek!]

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote