New
Find
Notify
Tools

TiteGroup - 45 Colt, 480 Ruger, 475 Linebaugh
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to introduce a non-shooter to big bore revolver shooting. I do not want to buy different powders or primers, though. I want to use what I have. What are the lightest TiteGroup handloads using the following components?

1. 45 Colt, Winchester brass, Large pistol (magnum) primer, 280-grain bullet?

2. 480 Ruger, Starline brass, Large pistol (magnum) primer, 340-355-grain bullet?

3. 475 Linebaugh, Starline brass, Large pistol (magnum) primer, 340-355-grain bullet?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1512 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
This is JMO, but TG should NOT be used in such large cases, especially w/ heavy bullets unless you are weighing each individual charge. It's just way too easy to double charge & that will take your gun apart. TG already occpuies very little case volumn & IF the theories of powder detonation are valid, I would not want to test them on such large cases. Try Trailboss or even RedDot. RedDot is what many CAS shooters use for light loads in bigbores before TB came along. It has about the same burn rate as TG but twice the volumn. I still think Unique is a better choice, especailly w/ heavy for caliber bullets.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Actually, a very well known exhibition shooter's 45 Colt load uses 250 gr. cast bullets and Tightgroup; the recoil is EXCEEDINGLY mild.

The thing about Tightgroup filling up only a small part of the case would definitely bother me if I were using a progressive press. Since I weigh or individually throw all powder charges anyway, it's not too much of a worry to me though.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
Actually, a very well known exhibition shooter's 45 Colt load uses 250 gr. cast bullets and Tightgroup; the recoil is EXCEEDINGLY mild.

The thing about Tightgroup filling up only a small part of the case would definitely bother me if I were using a progressive press. Since I weigh or individually throw all powder charges anyway, it's not too much of a worry to me though.

My point exactly, not saying it doesn't work, just about any powder can be successfully fired in a handgun, just bugs me I can't see the pwoder charge easily.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Lee Classic cast iron "O" frame press. I weigh all charges. I do this, not because I am anal about safety so much as I do not shoot large numbers of anything at one sitting. I was using a Lee hand press ("L" model), but I obtained the Classic for chump change. It is much easier to use. I see no reason to automate my reloading -- that is, why automate when shooting a dozen rounds per session? Why automate when shooting 25 rounds of beginner's loads?

Having written that, I agree completely that when using light charges of non-bulk powders, weigh and verify before seating the bullet.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1512 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote