New
Find
Notify
Tools

Annealing help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought some tempil sticks. At 650 and 700 degrees. I figure that would give me an indicator of my temp and from there I could note the dull red color and all. But I can't get the tempil chalk to stick to the neck. Any advise. I have read and read and heard people talk about holding in the middle of the case and when your fingers are and candles, and etc. I would like to know I am reaching temp first.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't do a lot of annealing, but when I do I use the 650 temp stick. It requires a little pressure when applying but I've been putting a longitudinal mark up the top quarter of the case rather than trying to apply it around the neck of the case. The temp stick seems to apply to the shoulder and case body slightly better than it does to the neck.

Once the mark melts at the point where the shoulder meets the case body, I quench the case in water.

good luck.

Posts: 11 | Location: MI (UP) | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Don't think of it as a crayon you apply at the beginning. Just heat up the necks and occassionally touched the stick to the heated case. Once the case reaches temp, the stick melts. After awhile you'll begin to tell by color of the case when it's the right temp.

Posts: 9 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder why the hornady kit comes with 475F templaq? Is 650f too hot?

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigcountry:
I wonder why the hornady kit comes with 475F templaq? Is 650f too hot?

With Horn's kit, you paint the body below the shoulder. By the time enough heat migrates down to that point, it's assumed that the enck is up to the required temp.

Posts: 9 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, good info. Makes sense now. When I try to use the tempil markes on the neck, you can't see too well when it melts. But with it below the shoulder you can see it even though the neck is carbon'd up.

thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody have the hornady kit? I would like directions if someone does.