Find
Notify
Tools

IMR 4831 In milk jugs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My primer was FLAT (no rounded edge left) and the casehead stamping was flattened and not near as pronounced as it was when it went in...

Then you really had a hot load. If you pressed the headstampings flat, that's hot, hot hot! So we know your load with this mystery powder is near 55 grains. Now to begin optimizing it with what you plan to use for bullets...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a bunch of the surplus 4831.

It is a great powder.

And as others have stated it was sold in milk jugs, paper bags, I got mine from a friend in coffee cans.

If you can find some older loading books you will see they list that powder as just 4831.

Try to find a Lyman 45 edition Reloading Handbook.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is also original 4831 data in Hornady Volume Two, and Speer Number 6, Number 7 and Number 8.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I have shot a bunch of the surplus 4831.

It is a great powder.

And as others have stated it was sold in milk jugs, paper bags, I got mine from a friend in coffee cans.

Wben I first started shooting 4831, they didn't even sell milk in plastic jugs! Glass bottles were the norm then. And you could buy milk pasteurized, unpasteurized, homogenized and unhomogenized.

Yet we let the federal government exist, even though we knew even then that except for fighting foreign wars, nobody needed it for anything.

And now the bloody wogs that hide in
Washington, D.C. won't even let us buy 100-watt incandescent bulbs after this year!

We should have listened to the indians and taken their side 100 years earlier...they knew what to do with the flaming federal government and how many of its deals it keeps with the ordinary Joes of life! Sitting Bull...where are you when we need you?

Hang onto your 4831!!

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
I have the Lyman manual. It's a little weird really beacause after i dropped a few steps and worked back up i was back at 55 grains with no signs. Should i show that high of pressure signs with just a one grain jump to 56? But as i said, Only one round out of 5 showed the signs which was probably a thick walled case as HOMEBREWER stated.

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote