Notify
Tools

Primer Question- Federal
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted
Hi guys,

Need some info on priming. I’m loading .338wm, 250gr Woodleighs and 69.5gr Somchem S365 (South African powder) and Federal Large Rifle magnum primers. That’s the info.

My problem is that I’m using a Lee hand priming tool and they specifically say not to use Federal primers with their tool. Have anyone used this combination before? If loaded about 50 rounds without incident- am I risking detonation the primers or will it be fine?

Cheers
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that a Maximum load at 69.5 grains ?. Why does the priming tool care which brand of primer it's

seating ?. I would be more concerned with the powder load than the primer aspect .

I would stay a couple of grains UNDER max loads and work up slowly and check for pressure signs .

Opinions vary that's what the forums all about !.

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the lee tool with federal primers and have not had a problem, and have loaded thousands of rounds this way.

The supposed issue is the cup has thinner metal than other primers thus it may detonate in the tool.

Even if one did it would just make a loud bang.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Lee primer tools instructions state not to put more than 50 magnum primers in at a time. I have used and still use Federal primers and have no issues at all.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At some point in the past Lee has had a piss fight with Federal over some proprietary issue. I'm not sure exactly what it is and who it is that started the fight, but the result was Lee simply putting a disclaimer with its priming tool (one of the very best on the market IMO) NOT to use Federal primers.

It seems that Federal may have issued some kind of cautionary (CYA) statement about the hazards of placing primers in a bulk container like that of the Lee tool; or alternatively it may have had something to do with Lee's disagreement with Federal's practice of making their primers ever so slightly larger in diameter than other brands, thus requiring more pressure to seat.

Bottom line: I use nothing but the Lee tool for all of my primer seating, and I use Federal primers whenever the notion strikes me. I do not feel at any risk by so doing.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the same Lee priming tool for 25 years and have loaded a LOT of Federal and Remington primers with it. Never had an issue.

NRA Life Member
HHI Member
SCI Member

"get busy living... or get busy dying"

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only have a Lee primer seating tool. I have used Federal 210, 215, and 205M without any issue at all.

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The reason behind the Lee warning, is that Federal primers use a more sensitive compound than other manufacturers [that's also the reason for the extra spacing in the Federal packaging, to meet transport classification standards as Class 1.4S].

So if the primer being seated pops, it will almost certainly set off those in the tray as well. Lee has tested several brands of primers, and say that Federal are the most dangerous in this situation.

With some other brands/types, Lee place limits on the number of primers in the tray.
CCI are the only brand where all primer types are Lee approved to have 100 in the tray.

Quote from Richard Lee's 'Modern Reloading 2nd Ed.':
"If a tray of those primers approved for 100 primers should go off; they will blow off the cover. Safety glasses will prevent any serious injury to the user. Other brands detonate with such force that it turns the tool into shrapnel. Federal brand primers are the most dangerous when used in the Lee tray fed priming systems. This is not to imply they are inferior, they simply are dangerous when used in tray fed tools."

So if you're using them, full protective equipment [face shield, leather gloves and apron], and keeping only a few at a time in the tray is advisable.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why, if one primer were to pop when being seated, would the others be in any danger? I don't get it. The other primers are behind the ram. And don't primers need to be struck to do what they do? I use Federals now and then in my 300WSM shells. I've had 50 or so in the tray at one time, only because I never have to load any more than that. I think the "Federal scare" is just a bunch of hot air...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
Hi guys,

Thanks for the reassurance; obviously caution is the word in reloading. 63.5gr were my starting load and 69.5gr seems to be my optimum charge weight (max. should be approx. 70.5gr), will do final tests at the range tomorrow and I will keep you posted. Thanks again for your valuable comments and advice.

Cheers
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, its all a stupid, stupid, stupid lie. Federal primers, the most sensitive primers on the planet, they never go bang in a priming device.

http://www.thehighroad.org/sho...=federal+primers+LNL

quote:
Don't be stupid & light off your primer tube. A public service announcement.

So I had my first "That was dumb. Yep, I still have 10 fingers." moment while reloading some 9mm last night. I was sitting at my Hornady LnL progressive press, which seems to have a problem with Federal small primers hanging up when the cam tries to slide them forward. On most days it's only been a minor annoyance, however last night for some reason every single one was sticking in there. I started down the wrong decision path by getting annoyed.

After 5 teardowns to clear the jam, on the 6th one I stupidly decided to just rack on the cam a few times to clear it out. The smart thing to do WOULD have been to stop, tear it all down, and leave it alone until I could chamfer the bottom of the hole where the edge of the primers were hanging up. I must have left my thinking cap at work.

So, what did the stuck primer say to his 94 friends sitting on top of him in the primer tube? BANG!!! The protective blast shield steel tube that surrounds the aluminum primer tube acted like a barrel and shot the ruptured aluminum tube an inch into my ceiling! (see photo) Primers are no joke, folks, the entire full tube lit off insantaneously just like a gun shot.

Be safe, guys, and don't let the combination of testosterone & malfunctioning machinery get the best of you. I take full responsibility for the ID10T error here, it could have easily caused an injury much greater than my pride & a ringing in my ear. I'm pretty embarrased about it but maybe my story will save someone else some pain

Oh yes, they don't slamfire in Garands either. Which is why I must have imagined those two out of battery slamfires, one of which which blew the receiver heel in my face.

one of us
posted Hide Post
im not saying it cant happen but ive used lee tools to seat many many thousand fed primers without incident. As to your primer tube lighting off my buddy did the same on his 650 and he was using cci primers at the time so i wouldnt blame federals for the problem you had. NEVER force anything on a progressive press. If it doesnt feel right STOP and find the problem.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johanv:
Hi guys,

Need some info on priming. I’m loading .338wm, 250gr Woodleighs and 69.5gr Somchem S365 (South African powder) and Federal Large Rifle magnum primers. That’s the info.

My problem is that I’m using a Lee hand priming tool and they specifically say not to use Federal primers with their tool. Have anyone used this combination before? If loaded about 50 rounds without incident- am I risking detonation the primers or will it be fine?

Cheers
Johan

I have seated 10,000 + fed-215m primers with my Lee Auto Prime & will continue to do so! HERE IS A LINK TO THEIR WARNING http://www.leeprecision.com/ht...atalog/primtool.html What this says to me is, YOU CANT FIX STUPID dancing tu2

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with Federal primers.
I have seated tens of thousands of them with the original screw in shell holder tool that Lee made before the current design. Lee was not afraid of Federal when that tool was in production.
If you are afraid of the combination just buy another priming tool. I would quit using the Lee tool before I would give up Federal primers.

As far as the photo goes morons will find a way to blow up priming tubes with any brand of primer.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see that the Lee warning has been reworded since I last saw it. It now disapproves not only Federal, but also Remington, Herters, RWS/Alcan, Magtech, and Wolf. All of which, other than Wolf, I have used in the Lee priming tool. I suspect that this has more to do with marketing than with safety.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suspect that this has more to do with marketing than with safety.

Actually I'd say it has more to do with the lawyers and legal speak to ensure that someone's ass is covered should some bone head actually touch one off.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My ultimate solution was to sell both of the Lee Auto Prime tools I had. No more issues with what primers could be used without something VERY bad happening... clap Big Grin
Of course that was after I had seated several thousand Federal Primers using the Lee Auto Prime tools.. Big Grin
I feel MUCH safer now..LMAO

Don