New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chrony F1 Master
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Midway has this chronography on sale for $79.99. Is this a good unit or do I need to save my money and get another unit?
THANKS
Jerry

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
FrownerThere are two schools of thought on this and a lot of verbage if you would care to refere to past postings.

I am of the negative school based on experience but a lot of reputable members are in the opposite camp based on their experiece.

If fate demaned I would use it. Eekerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
jy

Don't know how reputable I am but I used one of the basic units(the red one back then)for about 4 years back in the 90's and found it to be quite serviceable, except when I shot the upright rod. I sent it back and exchanged it and upgraded to a newer model(green one) with the readout that sits on the bench and have been using that one for about 5 years and haven't had any problems out of it, as long as I remember the battery. This one does seem to be a little more sensitive to the position of the sun. To me it's well worth the money.

Steve E........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1837 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine works, but....the white screen setup is the cheapest piece of shit and will drive you nuts (Are you listening CHRONY people?). The documentation was looked like Xerox copies and contained spelling & grammatical errors. But, like I said, mine works.

In retrospect, I would spend more money for a nicer setup.

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you shoot your chronograph (yes you will) Chrony will exchange it for less than $50.
If you have a spoting scope you don't need a remote read out. A pencil and pad is a good read
only memory. The standard deviation stuff ect. will impress the boys in the condo, but is of little value
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I have two of the original F-1 chronies and a Gamma Master. I have had no problems with any of the three.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one when they first came out.

Wasn't long til I hit a wire and scrambled it. Bought another, replaced the wires' with sticks and never a problem with that.

It only read about 40% of the time.

Then trying to get a reading with patched ball, the patch destroyed the face.

Took them ten months to reply to my first letter. "send it in with $85" That's too much, I'd only paid $60 for it new.

Letter to return my busted unit was never answered. Fought them for two yrs over it and never got another reply, nor ever get my shot gizmo back either.

Far as I'm concerned I wouldn't have one if they'd give me the whole factory!

Oh yeah, borrowed from a hunting buddy for another mutual buddy to check his loads. Damned if he didn't shoot a wire and ruin that. So he's out too! The owner said he'd settle with the guy, so end of it for me.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6010 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:

It only read about 40% of the time.

Far as I'm concerned I wouldn't have one if they'd give me the whole factory!George

Well!!! I see I'm not alone again. Guys like Steve are just born under a lucky star or have stock in chrony. Eeker stirroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote