New
Find
Notify
Tools

.308/.224 Sabots
 Login/Join

<David Quick>
posted
Has anyone here tried loading .224 varmint bullets such as V-MAX etc. in .30 cal using the sabots... I have been trying to get an accurate load for some time now using my Remington 700 .30-06 without much luck. I can get the velocity, but then accuracy goes out the window. If I use a powder which produces slower velocity, accuracy is okay, but the velocity is way too low... loading data is available on the net, and IMR 3031 seems to work best, but I would love to hear a success story using these sabots. BTW, I have a link on my site map where you can get more information on these... Thanks. Dave  -

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I have not tried because industry buzz was Remington develped a non-canister powder to load its sabot loads. The '06 loads did deliver the velocity, but accuracy was not good.

Since they did not do well in the market either, they discontinued the .30-'06 version. I don't know if thkey still sell the .308W and .30-30 versions.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<David Quick>
posted
Thanks! I was aware of the "special" powder for the .30-06 and was going to try some of the faster powders used mostly for cast loads, but may just switch over to the .30-30 and see what happens or perhaps my .300 Winchester Magnum. Problem with the .30-30 is that mine is a Marlin 336 lever action (not the best style for long range shooting) with the micro grove bore... I have no idea what effect that rifleing would have on sabots, but I do know it's good for jacketed bullets, not so good for cast... Ummmmm