Find
Notify
Tools

8x57 COA Length, What Do You Use?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
I had the throat lengthened in my m98/29 and used 3.166" overall using Hornady 220 grain bullets. Well my 180 grain Barnes X's got here, still waiting for my lead bullets, I even forgot what I ordered!
I noticed in the A-Sq manual a COA of 3.228".
My throat isn't that long and I do not think they would fit in my magazine.
Those of you who load this cartridge, I am wondering what your usual is?
Thanks.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
My 225 Gr. Woodleighs have an OAL of 2.330 in my Brno 8x57...It has a very long throat and I seat all bullets by the magazine box lenth...Most loads look like a case necked down to a #2 pencil....but these Mod 21 and 22 Brnos made in the 60's sure do shoot little bitty groups with any bullet....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
Disregard the above 2.330 that was a mistake on my part, I looked at the wrong round......

Try this:

225 Woodleigh 3.065 OAL (critical for feeding)

200 Speer 3.240 OAL

185 Rem Core Lokt 3.165 OAL

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray!!

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<257 AI>
posted
The Nosler manual lists 3.250 which as I found out today will work in one of my guns, but not the other. I loaded some 200gr Partitions today and went to run them through the rifle I intend to use them in. The first one the bullet got stuck in the lands and pulled out when I tried to get it out powder all over the living room floor, oops. In 2 other 8X57s they worked fine. Now I have to run them through the die again and shorten them a bit.

------------------
When in doubt, empty the magazine.

<KING>
posted
I load for an 8x57JS with 200gr. Nosler Part. and the length that I use in my rifle is 3.210. It also works with the 180gr. Nosler BT's. Stoney Point makes a guage for bullet depth. Get info. at WWW.STONEYPOINT.COM. Maybe this will help you.

<J�rgen>
posted
I do have the best results with the Sierra
175gr Game King . Don`t you think the 8x57
is too slow for the Partitions ?On Wild Boar
up to 250 pounds and distances up to 100m
it always did a perfect job , as well as
our small Roe deer (weight about 25-30pounds)
With a Krieghoff Drilling 3 shots at 100m
are all touching eachother , that`s more
than sufficient !If you`d like the load data
let me know , J�rgen

<KING>
posted
Jurgen, the Partitions shoot very accurate in my rifle and I get Sub MOA groups at 100yds. The velocity is around 2400fps. The reason I use them is they are accurate, I recently started using 180gr Nosler Ballistic tip bullets with 51gr of VV150 and am very satisfied with the performance and accuracy. They print MOA at 100yds about 3inches higher than the 200gr Part. These bullets are overkill for Texas deer and hogs but my shots are seldom over 150 to 200 yds. I would like the 175 load but haven't ever used them. My Mod. 98 shoots better than I do, It does it's part and I try to do mine. Good Shooting!