Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite load for the 6.5x55
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted
I have ben using RL-19 under 120 gr NBTs and Lapua brass for several years, achieving good results. I have come across a couple pounds of IMR 4831 and am going to give it a try. I would appreciate any pet loads or experience with this powder and simular components. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am also useing 47 grs rl19, lapua brass GM201 primers, 120 NBT. I tried the IMR 4831 when i first got the rifle, couldnt get the velocity and accuracy i got with the RL19

"Ain't never hit one yet, I didn't burn powder at"

Posts: 12 | Location: Shreveport LA | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
best load for my m-96 swede is 48gr rl-19, fed210 primer and barnes 120 gr x flat base.

i also tried 4831 and could not get the accuracy and velocity.

the 129 gr hornady sp is another excellent bullet.

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found the 6.5 Swede to be well mannered with moderately slow burning powders like 4350 and RL 19.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 45 gr of H4350, Lapua brass, CCI LR primers and Hornady 129 interlock's. I like it the deer don't.
I find the 6.5 to be well mannered, and a joy to live with from the shooter's perspective, and an efficient killing machine from the game's perspective.

John

www.kosaa.co.uk

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information, it's greatly appreciated. Looks like I'll be sticking with RL-19. Hpwever, I will try the 4831 since I have it. Lou

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rel-19 is indeed excellent. I use it with the Sierra 120gr.
HPBT Match bullet and also with the Hornady 120gr. PSP. It's very accurate with both bullets, about .6" (5 at 100yds.).
I've tried IMR4831, but not with very impessive results. If you're looking for a powder that excels in the 6.5x55 I'd suggest you try VihtaVouri 550 or 560. I was pleasantly surprised. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, in the 6.5x55 Howa, my most accurate loads have been 42.5 gr of IMR-4350 with the 129 gr Hornady SP and WLR primers. Unfortunately, they only chronograph around 2450 fps out of the long throated slow Howa 22" barrel. Pushing the charge to 46.0 gr gets the velocity up to around 2650 but with larger (but still within 1.5 inch for 3 shots at 100 yards) groups. My Howa won't shoot the lighter bullets at all, but does decently with the 129 Hornady and 140 gr Hornady.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
51.0gr of RL19 with a 120gr Nosler B.T, using winchester brass and winchester LR primers. I'm shooting this out of a 98. Excellent load.

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
323, Nosler list the max load at 48.5 and that's what I have been using without pressure signs. Have you gone over 51 grains? If so, when did you see signs of high pressure? Since most rifles chambered for the swede have long throats to accomodate long bullets, I guess one can increase loads a little.

one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Mine has a long throat, No I have not gone over 51 grs. I probably won't since this load is very accurate in my rifle. I found this load on AR and thought I would try it. This load does not show any signs of pressure.

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I am going to give it a try. Lou

one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
A little more info on my rifle it is a Turk 98 with a 22 inch Pac-Nor barrel My buddy put it together for me. I'm assuming he throated it for 140's because I seated the 120's as far as I could and the bullets are still not touching the lands. I had the rifle built for my sister but she has long giving up on hunting her and her boyfriend are into the Rodeo scene. So now it is my Step-Boys rifle. This is the only rifle I own that will shoot Ballistic tips. So I'm happy, I just wish Nosler would make the old Solid bases in this caliber again.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Thanks for taking the time to respond. You all have been a big help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Lou
Maybe I'm the last but I'm courius why anything reload with my best powder in this caliber: IMR 7828.
In my Mauser '98 with a Schultz & Larsen 26" barrell, 51 gr. of IMR7828, WW brass, Fed. 210 primers, Nosler Ballistic Tip 120 gr (moly coated) and O.A.L. 78,50 mm have a velocity average of 2864 fts. and put 3 shoots at 150 meters in 0.743"
Regards.
Hector

Posts: 328 | Location: San Martin de los Andes, Argentina | Registered: 01 May 2001Reply With Quote