Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler red tip bullets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,
I sorta suppose this is the right place to post this.
I today bought two boxes of Norma .30-06 ammunition.
They are loaded with 180grs Nosler AccuBond bullets. But get this: the tip of the bullets is red not white. Also, there seems to be a crimping groove clearly visible; the AccuBond has no such groove.

What is this?
I'm going to send an e-mail to Norma, as well, quoting the product # and EAN code #

I'll post some photos, too, if no-one is able to come up with a reasonable explanation.

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 556 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Ballistic Tips are red, right? (Or is that just 7mm.) Hornady SST uses red tips also.

this

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ddsipe
posted Hide Post
All the Ballistic Tips have different color tips depending on caliber. 270 are yellow, 7mm is red, 30 cal is green.

Accubonds are white tipped for all calibers that I have seen.

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
--Winston Churchill

"Oh, nothing Mom, just pounding primers with a hammer ..."

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
When Nosler supplies bullet to OEM manufacturers they do so to the client's specs. So, you may encounter a different tip color that what a Nosler bullet would normally come with. Same for the cannelure, it is added at the client's request.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
z1r's explanation sounds most plausible.

Still - I wonder! On Norma's site it's white.

Since the Plastic Tip (plastspets) is red, why make the AccuBond red? It'll only cause confusion!
I doubt if this is the Plastic Tip as on the photos it looks rounder - the AccuBond as well as my bullets are quite sharp.
Besides - the photo shows a yellow tip for the .30-06.
Besides, I expressly bought AccuBonds, not Plastic Points so I shalt not be Plastic Points sold!

Hornady? Except for V-Max, Norma doesn't use them.

BTW - this is the "old" box where the ammo is packed in the single red holder. The newer package is black where the cartridges are in such a holder that you can break it into two containing 5 rounds each.
Is it possible that the AccuBond used to have a crimping groove?

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I've been in Noslers store in Bend, Or and seen Accubond seconds with a cannelure but they had white tips. They just had BT's with cannelure.
They make what the Mfg wants. If they are labeled Nosler AB then they probably are just that.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We can speculate this to death and you will not be convinced. Just ask Norma and include the lot number.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
When Nosler supplies bullet to OEM manufacturers they do so to the client's specs. So, you may encounter a different tip color that what a Nosler bullet would normally come with. Same for the cannelure, it is added at the client's request.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
We can speculate this to death and you will not be convinced. Just ask Norma and include the lot number.

Way ahead of you....
I'll post their response for your convenience.

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
A good reason to load your own

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

It is not only most plausible, it is also accurate. Bullet manufacturers frequently supply bullets to ammunition manufacturers which differ cosmetically from those sold to reloaders. I have a supply of Nosler .30/180 Accubonds with orange tips and cannelures obtained as "factory overruns".

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:

quote:

It is not only most plausible, it is also accurate. Bullet manufacturers frequently supply bullets to ammunition manufacturers which differ cosmetically from those sold to reloaders. I have a supply of Nosler .30/180 Accubonds with orange tips and cannelures obtained as "factory overruns".

And I also have several bags of .270 140 gr Accubonds with red tips from Nosler's Shooters Pro Shop. They were sold as seconds but were probably overruns from a Federal order that specified red tips for their .270 ammo. I also have a bunch of .270 Ballistic Tips with grey tips that were probably intended for Winchester Ballistic Silvertips but were sold as seconds.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote