Notify
Tools

Bear gun and range results/pictures
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
Well, I went to the range today with the following:

30.06 Remington BDL 700 with 22" PacNor barrel #3. The stock is factory wood but painted up in Southwest Oregon, by John Noveske of Noveske Rifle Works. He also did the gun. Pachmyr Decel. Pad.

1) 180 Scirocco, H4350 53.5

2) 180 Partition, Re22 60.0

3) 200 Accubond, Re22 57.0

4) 168 Triple Shock, H4350 55.0

As well as some others, including Sierra 180 Spitzer, and 180 Speer Spitzer, and 200 Partition. These last 3 didn't group inside an inch for 3 so they are history.

As usual, the partition grouped better than the Sierra and Speer. In fact, the Partition was 2nd best.

It started to rain and my target got soaked. It is a typical 8x11 sheet of paper with 1/2" squares. It was about mid 80's today but I kept the barrel cool with cold rags between shots. This is day 2 of load developement. I didn't take the chrono today because of rain.

As you can see, the triple shock grouped best which has been my experience of late. Even the 180 Partition did great for 3 shots. Going bear hunting next Sunday the 6th. Since the Partition and Accubond and TSX all did well, and hit at same impact, I'll load up some of each and have at it there!!

I've seen what a partition will do and what a TSX will do, but I've never seen what a 200 Accubond will do to a bear at 40 yards or less.

Now that the targets are posted, anyone want to tell me again what to take? All will do the trick.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Oh, yea, if anyone has problems with TSX fouling, the answer is simple. Get a hand lapped barrel.

This barrel cleaned easily. Bore scope exam after cleaning (which only took 10 min.), showed no fouling. I just don't see the Barnes bullets creating any more copper fouling than any other bullet, which is hardly any.

I guess I'm glad I never tried the traditional Barnes X bullet and had all the bad experiences others had. I probably wouldn't have tried the Triple Shock. Damned accurate bullet. In my rifles, it beats the Sierras hands down every time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would expect that the Corvette's and C&C's that you have had have been slow as well.

Nice shooting by the way. Good luck on your hunt.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Nice Doc!

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rig...I love the stock paint job !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote