Find
Notify
Tools

New 260 Rem!!! Any loads?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
Just got a new Browning A-bolt II in 260 Rem. Any suggestions for coyote and deer loads? Will the 120 Nosler BT do both or is it too light for deer? Any loads will be appreciated. Please list velocity / accuracy.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The 120 grain BT will do fine for both. In this caliber, I found it hard to beat H4350 with the 120 grain BT -- and the combo proved to provide top accuracy and velocity in a number of individual firearms. You can start at 43 grains and work up a half-grain at a time. I was using 46 grains of H4350 with the Nolser 120 grain BT, but this load is definitely max and must be approached with all due caution. From a 26" barreled Remington, this load, with an OAL of 2.798," clocked around 2975 fps. From a 14" XP in 6.5x.308 (it was barreled up before Big Green gave the wildcat an official name), the load, this time with an OAL of 2.850", clocked 2693 fps.

In the medium capacity 6.5s, I must admit a decided preference for the 140 grain bullets, and I use them for everything from vermin to big game. And, you don't need "premium" bullets as the modest velocity, coupled with the long, slender slugs with their attendant high sectional densities, provides excellent penetration and results in game-dropping performance that must be seen to be appreciated.

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Remington Mountain rifle loves 44 grains of H414 behind a 120 grain Sierra. It shoots under an inch. I shot two deer with it and neither took a step. The only reason I've only shot two with it is because I have a lot of deer rifles that I rotate the use of.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
H-414 From 40.0 grains to 45.5 grains
Remington 9-1/2 Primer

And it should be just fine for deer...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your inputs. [Wink]

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
Can't speak for varmint applications, but for deer, the 125 partition is the cream. With just under max loads of IMR 4064, this bullet has been devastating and shoots very well.

Gabe

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting 51 grains of R-19 under 120 X bullets for deer and elk. Shoots under 1". Great bullet performance out to 250 yards. Great little round!!

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We shot a few deer here with .260 Rem and Nosler BT bullets. Sorry, I don't know the load. The bullets (140 I think, could be 120s) blew the heck out of the meat, with very large *entry* wounds. Killed them dead, but we didn't like it so he switched to 140 Hornady or something. The Noslers certainly shot nice groups in that particular Douglas-barreled Rem 700.

Posts: 92 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 06 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
My 2 best loads so far:

140 gr. Nosler Partition
46.0 grs. H4831sc
R-P case
CCI BR-2
~
2600 fps - 22" barrel

---

120 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip
49.0 grs. H4831sc
R-P case
CCI BR-2
~
Sub MOA , not chrony'd, 5 shots go into .6" once

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Rogue 6>
posted
I killed my buck this year with 1 round from about 125 yard through the shoulders, dead! I was able to save both shoulders for the freezer, which is what its all about. The load was 129 grain Hornady 48 grains of R19 fed 210 primers and Rem once fired necksized brass. In Oregon we only get one buck a year and I use the 300 win for elk. Next year I'm gonna use 125 grain partition loaded the same way. For a varmint load try R15 and 100 grain Sierra hollow points, its amazing and don't like being called a lier. 260 Rem is THE deer round.