Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes TSX in 7 x57
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted
I picked up some of the 140 gr. TSX bullets to try in my 7x57, now can't find a starting load either in my books or the net for the Barnes bullet. Anyone have a load they are running?

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
guy.....

I've got a 7x57R Blaser K95 that I'm using Barnes 120 grain TSX's in and they deliver excellent accuracy plus fantastic killing effect on a wide variety of game. I've also worked up loads with 140 gr. Nosler BT's & Hornady 154 gr. RN's. All shoot fantastic.

Since the only difference is the rim on this cartridge and that the rimmed version is rated at less pressure all else ought to be pretty similar.

I've been using VV N160, VV N560 and H-4350 with outstanding results in this cartridge. Years ago when I could get it I also used IMR-4350 which I considered a really good powder for this cartridge.

The VV N560 & H- 4350 powders are rated a bit slower and could perhaps give better results with heavier bullets while I've not put them across a Chrony, for the 140 grainers I'd give IMR-4350 or VV N160 a first nod with the 140 grain bullets.

I also didn't dick around much with OAL, just used a Lee Factory Crimp Die in the first (or last, depends on how you look at it - the groove underneath the fisrt driving band towards the pointy end of the bullet!) It works fine so I haven't played with it.

There should be lots of data out there for 140 gr. bullets in the 7x57, perhaps not for this specific bullet but then start 10% off maximum and cautiously tweak the loads from there.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would start with 46 grains of H-414. The barnes manual says 44 for a start and 48 for a max. That is with standard X bullets and the tripple shocks lower preasures.
I am asuming your rifle is a modern one and not an old 93 or 95 mauser and certainly not a remington rolling block...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Jones:
I would start with 46 grains of H-414. The barnes manual says 44 for a start and 48 for a max. That is with standard X bullets and the tripple shocks lower preasures.
I am asuming your rifle is a modern one and not an old 93 or 95 mauser and certainly not a remington rolling block...tj3006

In my Ruger No. 1A which has a long throat, I use 53 grains of WW760 or H414 with the 140-grain Nosler Partition bullet. This load averages just at 3000 FPS and shoots like this for three shots @ 100 yards:

I suspect that some reduction in powder charge might be required when using Barnes solid copper bullets....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my 7x57, you need to drop the charge one grain from a Nosler when loading the TSX and it will get identical velocities. I have been shooting the 140 TSX in my 7x57 at 3000 fps, shoots .6-.75.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I'll work up some loads and hopefully get to shoot this weekend. This is for a custom built on a VZ24 action by the way.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My CZ550 7x57 with 48 gr H414 and the 140 TSX will shoot sub MOA. No pressure problems and easy extraction. This is the load I will be taking to Namibia in june for the smaller critters.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 48 gr H414 load should be very mild in a long throated rifle, probably 2800 fps.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote