New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer Life
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have had a couple of different people mention something about the government going to start limiting the life of primers to some really short period of time. I haven't seen anything credible personally regarding this but just today a person in a local gun shop mentioned it again. I talked to a Remington employee a couple of weeks ago and they didn't know anything about it. Am I missing something?

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I read some article on this awhile back....I dont remember where, but prolly some Koolaide Drinking site...I wouldnt put anything past legislators and special interest lobbies, but I have found no validation for this theory.

FWIW...if a factory was gonna comply with this, I doubt if they would come out now before legislation and admit it. YMMV

Regards,

Mongrel

Posts: 6 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 09 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Please; not another urban legend. It is not feasible to do that even if they wanted to. Which the Dems probably do.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years back there was talk about trying to get laws passed to do that. But it never came about for various reasons.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Thinking about it, I do not think this could ever be practical as there would be a great risk of a squib primer pushing a bullet into the barrel and a subsequent blowup on the next shot. No matter how the primer was designed to degrade, there would be a period of time between "fresh" and "dead".

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it were true (yes, urban legend territory), it sounds like the fantastic requirement dreamed up by activists who don't understand physical and economic reality. Like requiring the stamping of a serial number on each bullet.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have primers from the 80's and they still go strong after 30 years. No misfire. I think the risk for a Government to do so is too big since it could cause blow ups.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I heard the same thing about primers being made so that they just evaporate on the 366th day after manufacture. The guy who told me about this is surely right since he catches all of his drinking water from rainfall to avoid the flouride in the municipal water from dissolving his brain and turning him into a Communist.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I heard the same thing about primers being made so that they just evaporate on the 366th day after manufacture. The guy who told me about this is surely right since he catches all of his drinking water from rainfall to avoid the flouride in the municipal water from dissolving his brain and turning him into a Communist.

I thought registering Democrat turned you into a communist bewildered hilbily

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep they limited them to one month.
they are trying this out in afghanistan.
the primers will explode on day 32.
they figure they can make them, get them loaded and shot within 32 days.
this will later be applied to all factory hunting ammunition.
you will just buy the 5-10 rounds you need each year, use them or not within the 32 day made on date window based on the date on the box.
and then throw away the unused portion at a government approved explosives container that will be built and placed in each city.
target ammunition will follow suit.
the same time hunting ammunition is available on the civilian market the target ammo will be on the market also.
you will just buy what you need for each session and return the unused portion to the facility within the 32 day time frame.

for 22 lr ammo they have been able to just get it's priming compound to become inert in the same time frame,so you can just dispose of those from your home, once the date has passed.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't personally think it is a workable proposition. I can just see law enforcement agents getting into a situation or our troops. I think it's like microstamping or guns that only shoot for the owners fingerprint. Either way, I'm glad I have 25,000 to 30,000 primers that will last a long time.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Scarboro:
I have had a couple of different people mention something about the government going to start limiting the life of primers to some really short period of time. I haven't seen anything credible personally regarding this but just today a person in a local gun shop mentioned it again. I talked to a Remington employee a couple of weeks ago and they didn't know anything about it. Am I missing something?

No, they will not mess with primers now that we have Obama-care to limit the life of us citizens in general when they deny your health care.
moon

Seriously,
They would have to legislate manufactures to Not sell to the public. But there are probably individuals who would then hijack trucks in-route. Sounds good? Buy a wig and fake mustache.
Wink

Truly no primers, no powder, no brass, no bullets equals no cartridges, so keep a stock of all / at-least to survive and enjoy your sports for a little while longer and don’t stress it.
Cool

Posts: 213 | Location: ┌\oo/┐ Tick infested woods of N.Y. | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
Thinking about it, I do not think this could ever be practical as there would be a great risk of a squib primer pushing a bullet into the barrel and a subsequent blowup on the next shot. No matter how the primer was designed to degrade, there would be a period of time between "fresh" and "dead".

DING, DING, DING. We have a winner folks.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Primers from the 80s are considered new ones to me. I have primers from the 60s and ammo from WW2 that is still perfect. You all know that corrosive primers are more stable and long lasting than non corrosive? That is why the old Soviet block and China still use them. And why all their weapons have chrome plated bores.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The shooting community is very ignorant about primers. There is a lot more material in the public domain on powder making than there is on primers. It is because of this ignorance that such conspiratorial claims can be made for people don’t have the knowledge base to understand that the claims are bogus from a chemical, material, and kinetic basis.

The current lead styphnate technologies used to make primers is very mature and the primers are very stable, within temperature bounds. Styphnate will dud out with age, but I don’t know how exactly how long for styphnate, but the time is greater than decades if not half centuries. Heat is bad for everything so I don’t recommend long term storage at or above 125 F.

I don’t know about the current crop of “green primers”, we will have to see if their lifetime will be as long as lead styphnate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This rumor goes back to the Clinton Administration. Someone thought they could save the world with a lead-free primer. At the time the shelf life was too short for commercial use. This immediately morphed into the government plot to put a use-by date on primers and thus, ammo. This subject resurfaces every few years.

(You can't fix stupid)
Falls of Rough Ky University
Our victory cry is FORK U!

Posts: 218 | Location: Falls of Rough, KY | Registered: 29 June 2011Reply With Quote