Find
Notify
Tools

Addressing the primer shortage.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
I am resorting to E-mailing manufacturers like CCI and Winchester etc. and I would urge everyone else to do the same.
Reloaders are getting the step child treatment. Suppliers have not been receiving shipments for over 6 months. That is not a demand issue, that is a SUPPLY issue! The manufacturers are putting ALL of their primers into factory ammo!

I would encourage everyone to not only start contacting manufacturers but to pass the word on in other forums and to fellow reloaders.

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/contactus

https://winchester.com/Support/Customers/Contact-Us

https://www.remington.com/contactus

If we dont do this no one else is going to do it for us.

Regards, Byren/AKA Wstrnhuntr

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
reloaders are like 2-3% of the shooting public.
they could give less than two shit's whether we are upset or happy.
all we do is suck up their excess, and usually not at their accountants approved profit margin.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very few of the hunters I know reload. There was one sporting goods store here that previously sold reloading equipment and components. They no longer do. The manager said it didn't make enough to pay for the shelf and floor space.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
I am resorting to E-mailing manufacturers like CCI and Winchester etc. and I would urge everyone else to do the same.
Reloaders are getting the step child treatment. Suppliers have not been receiving shipments for over 6 months. That is not a demand issue, that is a SUPPLY issue! The manufacturers are putting ALL of their primers into factory ammo!

I would encourage everyone to not only start contacting manufacturers but to pass the word on in other forums and to fellow reloaders.

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/contactus

https://winchester.com/Support/Customers/Contact-Us

https://www.remington.com/contactus

If we dont do this no one else is going to do it for us.

Regards, Byren/AKA Wstrnhuntr
Alas, even if the companies suddenly up the production of primers, there will be enough hoarders to subvert the concept.

I'm afraid we're screwed, at least in the short term.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I know a lot of people who reload and it is clearly growing. Dont sell our fraternity short, we make up more than you realize.
After I made the first post though I got thinking about the situation. I dont believe the hoarder BS regarding primers, I think that is a cop out. When suppliers admit that they have not had a shipment of primers in over 6 months, that is not a demand problem, that is a supply problem. I think there is something far more nefarious going on behind the scenes. I suspect the Commiecrats are up to their abuse of power tactics again and are strong arming manufacturers with their alphabet gestapo thugs or something along those lines. The fact that they are willing to go to such lengths has been demonstrated. And if that is the case then the manufacturers are not the ones we need to be yelling at. It adds up to a de facto gun ban. Not a good situation.

AK-47

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started off thinking sort of what the previous posters had said: reloaders are a tiny portion of the market and not profitable or big enough to get attention.

But almost all competitors reload. And the hunters that reload shoot and test a lot of rounds. They shoot many times the number of rounds of casual plinkers or hunters.

Plus, while big ammo mfr's are likely the primer companies' biggest individual customers (and often it's part of the same company), reloading houses have to also be fairly big customers. But they're generally also loaded ammo sellers, so there's not been much pain for the reloading outlet or the mfr. One point of leverage I see is profitability for the individual business unit. I would imagine internal transfer cost of primers is way lower than retail for reloaders. When my own company has multiple BU's involved in a deal, they are all fighting to keep the best portion of margin on their part of the deal.

I wonder if there's a way to exploit that.

Also, I wonder if appeals to push Midway, Brownells, Graf's, Natchez, MidSouth, Academy, BassPro/Cabelas to push the primer producers to carve out a larger portion of the production for components might have more success.

Posts: 1730 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Then there is this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lJhsbWCBLg&t=2s

AK-47

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I run a club with 140 members. Of those members there are 35-ish active members. Of the 35 - 25 of them reload. That is roughly 17 percent. I would bet that taken as a whole the shooting community reloaders count for less than 10% of the active shooters.

But pressure couldn't hurt. :-)

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine is in the shooting industry and thinks the manufacturers are watching what the consumer is paying for components and says the prices will be based on what they are selling for now.
Hope not.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Same thing as the last time until Powder Valley unloaded Wolf, Tula, and S&B on them. Cheap!

Domestic prices dropped overnight and no more shortage.

Posts: 81 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
So where are the Wolf Tula and SB primers today?

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:

Somebody correct me here but I believe import of Eastern European primers was somehow blocked by our government.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
I run a club with 140 members. Of those members there are 35-ish active members. Of the 35 - 25 of them reload. That is roughly 17 percent. I would bet that taken as a whole the shooting community reloaders count for less than 10% of the active shooters.

But pressure couldn't hurt. :-)

seems to me that if 35 are ACTIVE members and 25 reload, wouldn't the percentage be a lot higher than stated?

Posts: 1546 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
35/140

All 140 shoot they just are like most. They buy a box of ammo a few times a year. As opposed to the regulars that shoot a few times a month.

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

Somebody correct me here but I believe import of Eastern European primers was somehow blocked by our government.
Can't cite a source, but some months ago I heard that too. (I just loaded my last Tullas.)

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Whaddya know! I actually got a response from Winchester. But apparently their Customer service dept needs some work on their reading comprehension.

Subject: Winchester.com - Contact Inquiry

Submission Date: 12/8/2021 5:15:37 PM

Question: WE NEED PRIMERS! Reloaders are getting desperate. Youtube is full of videos of people making their own primers from toy caps and used primers. I expect this is potentially dangerous. I know demand is incredibly high, but many suppliers I have contacted have told me they have not got any primers for over SIX MONTHS!! That is not a demand issue, that is a SUPPLY ISSUE!!! Please help!

Answer:

Like many manufacturers in the shooting sports industry, we are experiencing an extremely high demand for our products. We are working as hard as we can to produce an increased supply of quality ammunition to meet our customers’ needs. We appreciate your patience and like always, thank you for choosing Winchester.

AK-47

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

Sounds like a masked assault on the 2nd amendment to me. Clever Commiecrats. If reloaders make up such a small fraternity, why would they even bother with this? Answer; take a look at reloading die sales. I recently ordered a set from Midsouth and it took them nearly a week just to fill the order!

AK-47

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Powder has been trickling in. Bullets the same. Seems we can find something of the above that will work for our needs EXCEPT PRIMERS.
Luckily I have sufficient for my needs as well as all the kids, grandkids, inlaws. But still, where are the damn primers?

Bro just ordered 5000 shot shell primers that were "in stock" and now they're backordered and his order will be cancelled in 4 weeks if it cannot be filled. Scam-ish if you ask me but the company is "reputable".

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I have plenty of primers, powder is my problem. I have emailed Hodgon and Alliant and just get the standard response

Posts: 765 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Unless you know someone in retail you literally will never have the opportunity to purchase components or ammunition.

Why is this ?
Because when the shipment hits the store dock the people who work in retail call their buddies and the product goes from the stock cart on the shelves for about 2 seconds where a waiting line of those informed.
Buy it all. Oh sure there is the one or two per customer rule, but pay attention.
I watched a man and woman team clean out at the ammo at a major retailer a month or two ago.
They made a good 10 trips thru the checkout each time buying the allowed 2 boxes.

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What if you special order the ammo you need? Then they would be bound by agreement to deliver it to you.
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
Unless you know someone in retail you literally will never have the opportunity to purchase components or ammunition.

Why is this ?
Because when the shipment hits the store dock the people who work in retail call their buddies and the product goes from the stock cart on the shelves for about 2 seconds where a waiting line of those informed.
Buy it all. Oh sure there is the one or two per customer rule, but pay attention.
I watched a man and woman team clean out at the ammo at a major retailer a month or two ago.
They made a good 10 trips thru the checkout each time buying the allowed 2 boxes.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
What if you special order the ammo you need? Then they would be bound by agreement to deliver it to you.
OUT OF STOCK NO BACKORDER basically means, thanks but no thanks not interested in your sub $250,000
Order.
Want the ammo makers attention get a million out to spend, that might be enough to cock an eyebrow.

quote:
Originally posted by Timan:

Why is this ?

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At our gun shop we take orders for specific brands of ammo if payment is received in advance. When it arrives, the customer is contacted and picks it up. We only limit quantities if multiple people want the same thing and we are in turn rationed by the supplier. Of course, if a store had a no backorder rule that would negate that arrangement. We choose not to conduct business that way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I managed to find primers at midway by checking daily, they get them and sell out fast..I also stumbled on primers at the twin falls gun show, got 1000 FC magnums, and 1000 std., 1000 cci std. and several pounds of RL-19 and several RL-22, all from a coupld of kids that had it in abox under the table, so bought it all up..

I went on a search on the internet, pawn shops, gun shows and all the business I could think off, lots of trouble but it worked..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm down to my last 1,200 LR Boxer primers. Might have to start trolling Midway as Ray posted. We can't get any primers at the shop. But, a dozen or so years ago, I managed to buy 6,000 Tula LR Berdan primers for a song ($.04 each). Fortunately, I have been saving Berdan brass, so I'm in the hydraulic decapping bussiness now! A little messy, but still fun. BTW, some of that FN and Swedish brass is fantastic quality. I was surprised how good FMAP Argentine brass is too.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I managed to find some locally. Apparently an FFL passed away and his wife asked her Son in law to sell a bunch he had stocked up, so I grabbed what I could afford. I was about to grab some from a gunbroker auction but these were a better deal. Im good for now but I sure dont like the situation.

AK-47

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I would be surprised if so few as 3% of shooters reload. Almost all centrefire rifles offered for sale on the SSAA classifieds here seem to come with dies and components.

That said, I am continually chuffed at the numbers of shiny, once-fired cases (even in my less-common calibres) I find in the 'brass' bins at our range.

We are also short of primers here, of course, though I found plenty of CCIs recently. One dealer predicted the drought would continue for about three years. I assumed this was because of US demand and logistics - added to the LA port problem, explosives can only be carried on certain ships.

However, the dealer said there was also a shortage of some rare element needed to produce primers.

Posts: 5119 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That 3 year prediction wouldn't have anything to do with the politics in play now, would it? Wink

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote