New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm DGS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am the proud new owner of a Ruger #1 with a Les Buska barrel installed and chambered 7mm DGS. It is an auction site purchase that came with 100 cases and a set of RCBS dies. The cartridge is based on the 7X57 and is "improved" a bit more than the Ackley version. The neck is shorter and shoulder angle is steeper. Does anyone know of a source of information on this cartridge or have any experience with it. I will check case capacity and figure starting with 7mm Ackley loads will get me in the ballpark.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the ICL version.
which is a straight wall case version, that retains almost the same neck length as the mauser case.
it gains me a few more grains of case capacity over the Ackley.
sounds super similar to what you have but with a different name and maybe a little bit dimensionally off here and there.

anyway I had the throat cut some short to mostly accommodate 139-140gr. bullets seated normally.
it's accounted for pretty much everything from bunnies to a moose with the Hornady interlock going along just a hair shy of 2900 fps. pushed by RL-19.

yeah I can go a LOT faster, and I can even retain accuracy over 3-K easy enough.
but.. LOL
your running in the 7-Mag zone at that point and the bullets act just like they do in that cartridge.

I got a bunch of 20 cent Interlocks, that's enough.

I ain't payin a dollar to shoot no barnes copper bullet or the like so I can feel better about pushing my rifle harder enough to match another rifle I can simply buy off the shelf.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked to Dale Storey the other day and he developed the cartridge to get around some forming issues with the Ackley version. It will fireform cases with factory ammunition and Ackley data will work. Just wondering if anyone has experience with it. If I want a hotrod, I can go to my 7 Gibbs, 280 Ackley, 7X61, 7 Rem Mag or 7mm LRM. Eachone an incremental step up. I agree about the Interlocks.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote