New
Find
Notify
Tools

FCD and TSX
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone tried using a Lee Factory Crimp Die on a Barnes Triple Shock yet? I tried using it on a 6.5x55 with 130TSX and the results were somewhat disappointing. My COL grew by about .014" (as measured with comparator), and the neck of the case looked like it buckled a bit. I can't really say it buckled; what I think happened is that the mouth of the case went down into the pressure relief cutout or driving band or whatever you want to call the smaller diameter areas on the shank, giving the appearance of the neck bulging out.

I've used the crimp die in a couple other instances with good functional success, but this was so bad, it kind of makes me wonder. I used the same die at the same setting with a 100gn NBT and had no problems.

I don't know if I need to set the die down farther, or if the crimp dies just shouldn't be used with funky construction bullets, namely Barnes X and cousins.

So, if anyone's used them and had it turn out good, I'd appreciate a couple tips. I"m always willing to learn.

thanks,
irwin

Posts: 108 | Location: not where I was... | Registered: 09 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Use a lot of TSX's and use the Lee FCD on all of them. Sometimes the mouth of the bullet lands on the groove and sometimes not.

Never had a problem. I set my LFCD to put on a light crimp, so that when you lower the handle the gaps between the four die parts that you can see at the top do not close completely. Can't imagine that it would increase your COL, but you might try just seating the bullet .01" or so deeper. The TSX doesn't seem to mind.

Without guns we are subjects or victims, with guns we are citizens

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Whenever you apply a crimp, the brass has to have somewhere to go as the case mouth constricts! When the bullet metal is solid copper, it makes neck/shoulder buckling more likely!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
Use the Lee Factory Crimp on my 7mm. Rem. Mag. and 140 gr. TSX. Does not change the COL, but then where my Encore wants them, the case mouth does not hit in one of the groves. Barnes recomends .005 off the lands, my rig likes them .003 back best.

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress." Mark Twain

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by worriedman:
Barnes recomends .005 off the lands, my rig likes them .003 back best.

Thats .03" to .07" off the lands, according to their instructions in the bullet boxes.

Without guns we are subjects or victims, with guns we are citizens

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I crimp everything and yes, I have noticed a bit of bulging at the case mouth and sometimes a .004" elongating of the total length, but have never had a problem with the shells not fitting into the chamber because of it. I shoot primarily .223 in my varmint AR and crimp to keep the bullets from moving under recoil-- and I kind of get off on the extra kick you get from crimping.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote