New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trimming big bore cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the best way to trim .500 Nitro cases? So far, I have been unable to find a trimmer pilot for the .500. Hornady makes one for the .500 S & W but it just lacks that little bit. And while it will fit in a Dillon, they don't make a shellholder in that size. I have a single stage RCBS that will accomodate it but getting the brass trimmed appears to be a hang up. Any suggestions?

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just ran into that with the 500 S&W.Lemme rephrase that.. Technical difficulties encountered in the trimming process.. Normally use a Wilson trimmer, got a case holder for it, and felt like a bit of a jackass when I realized the standard cutter works up to .45 cal. Wilson has a 50 BMG case trimmer, thats looking to be likeliest solution in my case. Don,t recall if Sinclair sells a cutter holder for 500 Nitro, if not you can send Wilson a sized case and they will make you one. Bout 50 bucks for the custom case holder, 3 weeks or so to get it. Nuther hundred or so for the trimmer itself..
Or, not familiar with the Hornady pilot, a trip to the machine shop, add a little length?

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Muttly,
Just realized that I hadn't exhausted all my resources and through Huntingtons.com I bought a Forster Classic 50. It is designed to handle the .500 and smaller. Shouldn't take them long and it will be here.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the Martini-Henry web site.
There were a lot of those super nasty Gahendra rifles found an the owners were looking for a good way to trim the brass.

Looks like Wilson has a .50 cal trimmer but you will have to make a case holder for your particular cartridge.
L E Wilson

I have a .50-70 trim die that I suspect would work for the longer rounds. You might check one of them out.

Forster promised to make a .50 cal trimmer but I don't know what happened to it. The do make a .50 BMG trimmer. However you still need to find a collet holder for gripping the cases.

Forster .50 cal.

For the cost of some of these very expensive trimmers you are half way to being able to pay for a mini lathe.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
For my RCBS I had to take a dremmel and grind down the shell holder to accomodate my 450 NE. I know there is a you tube video of it somewhere but i dont have the time right now to search. Anyway, it works like a dream now.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you considered using a trim die? I have one for my 470, works well. RCBS makes one for the 500 NE.
http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...-500-nitro-express-3
They are a bit spendy.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote