New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H loading help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have some 260gr Nosler partition bullets. Nosler apparently no longer makes these bullets. I want to save them for hunting loads but I need to sight in my new scope and I need to know if I use 270gr Hornady bullets to sight in what will be the likely difference in POI?
Also, what will be the effect if I load the 260gr Noslers over the powder load for the Hornady 270gr bullets? Thanks!

Posts: 167 | Location: Kamloops British Columbia Canada | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's only one way to know what they'll do in your rifle with you shooting them; zero with the 270s (suggest a 200 yard zero) and then shoot a 3 -5 shot group with the 260s. Chronograph both loads. Any thing else is just a guess and i would not go hunting with a "guesstimated zero".

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
R-D,

Sounds like a reasonable approach w/the 270's vs. the 260's and the 375H&H is a cartridge known to generally shoot various loadings into pretty much the same PoI.

Now having said that; the only way you're gonna find out is to use some of those precious Partitions and IME using a lighter bullet w/ the same load for a heavier bullet is normally not gonna get you into Hot Water.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When did Nosler discontinue the 260gr Partition? They still show it on their site, and every retailer I checked shows them in stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote: "When did Nosler discontinue the 260gr Partition? They still show it on their site, and every retailer I checked shows them in stock."

The Nosler reload manual #1 indicates the 375--260 and 300gr partition bullets are "No longer manufactured". The Nosler manual #2 does not have any 375 informatioon listed. If they are still in production I will be very pleased! I bought several boxes years ago so I have had no reason to check the stores lately.

Thanks to all for the replies to my original question.

Posts: 167 | Location: Kamloops British Columbia Canada | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How freaking old is Nosler's reloading manual #1? #6 is the current release.

The 260 Gr 375 cal Partition is alive and well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another bullet that shoots well in my .375 H&H is the 250 grain Swift A-Frame over 71-72 grains of RL-15. Shots < 1 MOA in my rifle.

Posts: 258 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 27 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I just shot some 260 partitions and 270 Hornady's last Sunday. They both shot into the same group at 100 yds. I was using IMR 4350 in both loads. I have seen the 260 partitions on a few local shop shelves, but I have not seen any 300 gr partitions in quite a while.

This is why I was experimenting with the 270 Hornady's. My preference has been the 300 partitions, but I've been trying the 300 Sierra's and the 270 Hornady's as a backup. Accuracy in both the Sierra's and the Hornady's has been good.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is dated March 1976

quote:
Originally posted by CAS II:
How freaking old is Nosler's reloading manual #1? #6 is the current release.

The 260 Gr 375 cal Partition is alive and well.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1598 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote