New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka, Strong Action!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Went to range today and shooting relatively new Tikka Varmint Rifle in 223 w/ 8 twist barrel. Had loaded some rounds couple weeks ago and upon noticing later the charge indicator I was kind of suprised to see that it was some 2 grains over what I had intended to use? Well was not sure if it had been bumped or what, but decided to touch off one round. WOW! Gas came back, white smoke visible, and I immediately checked to see if any damage to gun or myself. None to either thank goodness, but the primer was completely gone and black soot in the bolt face. Case extracted ok, and neither extractor or ejector seemed damaged. Won't do that again and first time in over 45 years of reloading. I give A+ credit to the Tikka and give myself a big fat F as in failure.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
My uncle had some hillbilly friend reload 223 for him, and it blew up his Tikka. Messed up his hand and made him all but deaf in one ear. No clue as to the specifics though, anything could fail with huge pressures.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
MFD,
I had a similar experience with some reloads in 22-250 that I picked up from the estate of a reloader I didn't know and tried to run through my new T3 Lite. I touched off one, smoke and sparks flew and the bolt was fairly stiff opening. The primer fell out of the back of the case when I ejected it. When I examined the bolt I found that it had etched a circle into the bolt face around the firing pin. I figure that circle is a reminder not to use someone elses reload unless I know how they do things! shame When I got back from the range I promptly disassembled 59 rounds and threw away the powder and primers. I also made sure that an additional ten boxes of ammo from the same estate was factory ammo and not this guys reloads!

This all happened the first day out with the rifle at the range but I can find no other damage to the Tikka. The groups have been tightening up nicely over the next 100 or so rounds I have been running through the rifle so the rifle looks like it is turning into a real shooter.

I don't have a lot of complaints about either of the Tikka rifles I have.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Mort Canard,
I am getting ready to tear down a bunch of ammo just like you mentioned. Friend of mine inherited a Dillon 1050 press and did not want to take time to set it up and adjust, etc., and gave it to me to use and I foolishly ran off some 4-500rnds of the stuff which is way too hot.
I have the old style inertia puller/hammer deal, but looking for better way. Never tried one of those collet types in a press, but guess I am about to learn how to do it!!
As for the Tikkas, I have the Varmint version,223 and the T3Tactical in 308 and both are really accurate and obviously strong and offer good value for the price.

martin

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not overloaded any Tikas, but I would expect a bolt action to handle all kinds of bolt thrust from loads that double the size of the primer pocket.

But if the brass case head fails, the gas can launch pieces of extractor and case head at the shooter.

It doesn't matter how strong the action is, if you still get hit with Shrapnel.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tikkas are strong. But, then so are the others.

To knowingly fire a .223 round with a 2 gr. over charge ...? Glad you weren't hurt.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So am I, neither the rifle nor me!