Find
Notify
Tools

To Alan R: From Seafire
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Alan:

I got a message on my email about a PM from you, but when I signed on to open it, I got a message that I did not have the prevlidges to view it????? bewildered

Maybe Don giving me the NeoCon scrutiny? lol

Any way, try it once again.. it did seem to say something about Blue Dot and the 243....

I'll just post it here if that is what you were looking for...

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
Alan:

I got a message on my email about a PM from you, but when I signed on to open it, I got a message that I did not have the prevlidges to view it????? bewildered

Maybe Don giving me the NeoCon scrutiny? lol

seafire

I don't have that ability, probably homeland security monitoring your internet traffic.

Anyway, it might be Alan deleted the PM before you got to it.

Don

Posts: 26549 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Weird?? I don't know what and/or why something is being blocked.

Anywho, I'm looking to buy my 12 yr. old daughter a lighter recoiling rifle to practice with. The Rem .300 Sav I got her is accurate with bluedot loads but the recoil is enough that she can only get a dozen or so shots down range before flinching sets in. I can not get any 125 gr. bullet to shoot well from that rifle but 150's in any flavor are spot on. I figure downloading a 70 gr. BT from a .243 would allow her comfortable centerfire practice.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Alan

Posts: 149 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 05 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alan:

My thoughts would migrate to the 75 grain HP Hornady's... they are available at Bi Mart, which I am sure you have one near you up North there....

Recoil with that and the 75 grain HP, would be substantially less than the 300 Savage shooting a heavier bullet...

If she was going to hunt with it... a 90 grain ballistic tip or 95 grain at 2250 fps would still give her a 200 yd rifle, and that would be plenty for the blacktails around here.....

I'd even suggest taking out some 55, 70 and 80 grain ballistic tips and the 75 grain HP and shooting into some wood media or milk jugs of water at a MV of under 2800 fps.... I think the results would really surprise ya! Varmint bullets at lower MV don't explode like they do at higher velocity.... they actually open up closer to a big game bullet... at least the ballistic tips and some hollow points I have tested! bewildered

I also ran the 243 range report again for you and a few other guys I got a couple of emails from about it...

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Much appreciated SF.

Alan

Posts: 149 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 05 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alan:

My pleasure! thumb

cheers
seafire