New
Find
Notify
Tools

Three quick or three slow?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am in the final stages of load development for my .300 Winchester Magnum. I have worked with various loads and have taken the approach of shoot, cool, shoot, cool, shoot.

I have noticed on the forums that it seems many people shoot, shoot, shoot, cool. I believe this is to simulate as closely as possible a realy hunting scenario.

My question on this is how you do it. Three fast and cool, or let the barrel cool between shots.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I basically take three shots and check the barrel with my bare hand to insure that it is not hot to the touch. It is my opinion that the first shot through an unfouled (clean barrel), will have a greater point of impact affect, than from shots fired from a cold barrel. I've noticed as much as about 2" in one of my rifles. Although two inches is not a big deal, I typically fire two fouling shots through my hunting rifles prior to going hunting. Although if I happen to be in the field without fouling shots being fired, I won't lose any sleep over it. The key is to shoot and know your rifles.

I normally go the the range and recheck my zero before heading for the field. It gives me another good reason to be at the rifle range and my wife is currently convinced that a trip to the range is mandatory before a hunting trip.

Although, she wouldn't go for having to replace my guns and fishing reels because they weren't Y2K compliant.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
winnie, I believe the best way to shoot a hunting rifle is to shoot, cool etc., I want to know where the first shot is going cause that's the one that counts, if you take a shot at game, they'll more than likely take off on ya, then it really don't matter how accurate the rifle is, to a point, of course, the first shot out of a cool barrel is going to tell you where the bullet is going. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt that it makes a lot of difference on a "hunting rifle" as long as you know what it will do under hunting conditions, that's all you need and if it will keep them in a 2 inch or ever 3 inch group you OK..I want a 1" gun for myself, but I don't profess it necessary...

I work up my loads and shoot them at one minute intervals..when I find my load I will shot 3 fast just to see what it will do...99% of the time it groups the same.

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ray. When developing a load I shoot, cool, etc. Then I want to know what is gonna happen if I have to lay down a field of fire so I shoot, shoot, shoot, cool. It is most important to know where the first shot from a cold barrel is going but for us lesser mortals, its sometimes important to know where the second and perhaps third shot is going.
I clean my rifle(s) throughly before hunting season, fire a couple of fouling/sighter shots and then don't clean them again until after the season.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now, I called either Hodgdon or Alliant, I don't remember which, and we got talking about heating the barrel (the subject came up after discussing the hotter flame of the double base powders). One of them stated to let the barrel cool after it is too hot to touch. Strong opinions out there as to whether to stop "when it is too hot to touch" or "when the barrel is very warm" but can still hold it? I personally shoot 3 to 5 shot groups depending on the situation and still allow a minute in between shots. After the 3 to 5 shots, I wait another 10 or so to shoot my next 3 to 5, but my barrel is always quite warm after the first 3 shots or so. More cooling? I would imagine "checking" doesn't happen until the barrel is very hot?.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote