New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inertia bullet pullers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there a trick to using these inertia bullet pullers, the ones that look like a hammer that you insert a bullet in a collet and pound it like a hammer?
I have used them and they work well, but the break very often for me. I bet I am close to needing to buy my tenth one the past 15 or so years. I do not pull a lot of bullets.
What an I doing wrong?

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're just too damned strong!!! LOL

I've never broken one in 45 years but I don't know exactly how long I've actually been using one.

I've seen them broken so it does happen. (worked in a sporting goods store for 19 years)

Maybe try a solid wood block instead of the concrete floor.???

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well if you hit them on concrete amd bricks they will break.

I always use a piece of firewood or wooden block. By the way a shellholder is easier than the collet with the o-ring around. They fit right in and you snug them down.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have a green one with an aluminum handle and I hit on my Rock Chucker top, which is solid iron; it cannot be broken as it would have by now; had it for at least 30 years. I have used it on the concrete floor too. Only issue is that is to small for 500 Nitro and the like.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with using the wooden block and you can try this: Set up your die so it slightly moves the bullet and then use your bullet puller.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
I agree with using the wooden block and you can try this: Set up your die so it slightly moves the bullet and then use your bullet puller.

That's a good idea beeman. It would break the bond between the bullet and brass especially on very old loads.tu2

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Ten?? TEN??? I'm an Aggie and the second time cured me -- collet style is good. Even sidecutters are better than dropping powder all over your feet.

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Toss the spring and guts..Use your caliber case holder to hold the round in the unit, and they will always work..Ive read they are dangerous, but Ive used one in conjunction with my bench unit for 40 years and never a problem. The problem with what you read is the scribe can be as full of shit as the next guy and scribbles something that seems to make since to him and him alone, then other folks believe it and pass it on to expand on their knowledge, Sometimes this happens anyway!! clap

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Don't use them cold,as in the winter.
Make sure the top lock ring is very tight. If loose it will break.
I strike a large block of lead.
I've broken three of them in the last 50 years.
All at the clamp side/cap.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve used an inertia puller for decades and never broken one. And I hit an 8” diameter steel disk weighing 20 lbs hard! I was okay using it for a few bullets, but when I had to pull a lot I hated the thing.

I tried the Hornady cam-lock puller (using collets) but found it to be a pain to set up and use.

I’m now trying a Grip-N-Pull , which looks to be a better option. It does mar the bullets slightly, but not so much as using side cutters, though the principle is the same. It’s much, much faster than any other puller I’ve tried.

It's a little pricy but worth it to me.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 in moving the bullet slightly before using----especially when dealing with military or some foreign ammo.

Hip

Posts: 1881 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
One of the things I do is hold the end of the handle with thumb and forefinger. The recoiling for the bullet puller adds inertia (from what I've read and heard) and makes pulling the bullet easier. I did break one years ago, but the one I have now has lasted 20 years or more. I also agree with breaking the case grip of the bullet with the seating die.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
diggin In 60 years I've broken two. I've got two more hanging on my wall just in case I break another one. homer roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the RCBS one and the handle/plastic portion hasn't broken but I have had the alloy collet shear off so a rimless shell would slide through (a rimmed shell could sit on top of the collet). It gets beat on the end of a piece of firewood. It's rare that it gets used anymore since I use the bullet puller die for the sizes that I have collets.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Impact velocity, not power of impact. IOW don't swing it like you're trying to drive a spike into hardwood.
Like Prof242 said, light grip (just enough to keep it from flying off) on the end of the handle.
You want it to bounce back from the hit.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used mine (RCBS) for years before going to collet type. One secret it to break bullet from case as mentioned in a earlier post
I then use a swift but not heavy blow on a 1.5 thick by 10 in plate circle of steel. I use several blows checking the progress
after each and have had great success without bullet or case damage. No powder loss either.
I much prefer the collet type and have machined some to match calibers I couldn't buy but have bullet damage at times if tightened to much.
Hope this helps as all the posts before mine are good replies.

Samm patriot

Posts: 406 | Location: The Rust Belt | Registered: 08 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Try one of these. http://grip-n-pull.com/

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They're cheap to replace...I don't worry about them breaking. I use steel wool to catch and protect the bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An "upgrade" for kinetic pullers :

https://www.quineticscorp.com/...chuck-shim-fit-combo

Haven't tried one, don't know how well it works.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in '58 I bought a Quenetics. It lasted until around '90. Thought I'd loaded too much in some 30.30's so two of us started pulling them. Dave hit the head sideways and broke the bottom half off. Store swapped with me.

Now I use Midways blue plastic jobs and never had a problem with another. I beat hell out of an 1 1/4" x 10" sq steel plate.

I have three of them, for different sized cases.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6010 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote