New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes TTSX
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As I understand it with the Barnes TTSX they can be called "heavy for weight" meaning that in a 30 cal for example a 150 will perform pretty much like a 165.
I'm loading for a 270 Win and a 308 Win.
Suggestions and feedback as always,are most welcome and gratefully accepted.
regards
rob

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Copper is less dense than lead so they are literally longer. A 150 grain TTSX will be longer than a 150 grain cup and core bullet.

They perform bigger too. As Craig Boddington says, "bullet weight makes up for sins in bullet construction." But with a Barnes the solid shank means you will get penetration regardless. There's no concern that the bullet will rupture, splatter, not penetrate, et cet. when you take a shoulder shot. You just don't need a heavier bullet. And there's sometimes good reason not to use a heavier one with the Barnes.

Many people, me anyway, will tell you that the Barnes TSX (I don't have enough knowledge or experience with the TTSX to say there) work best with an impact velocity window of 2200-3000 fps. Any faster, you'll lose the petals; any slower, they won't open as much, if at all. So depending on the caliber, you may want a ligher or heavier bullet to give you that impact velocity.

Clear as mud?

I've used and do use TSXs in my .30-06 and .375H&H, and I have no interest in any other bullet.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robz As with most bullets what bullet you use depends on what you plan to hunt. As LWD has pointed out because a TSX bullet is solid copper (except for the plastic tip on the TTSX)they do not come apart. Because they retain all their weight they penetrate much better than a cup&core type bullet. If you were using a 165 to 180 gr cup& core bullet in your 308 to achieve the penetration you wanted I would suggest the 150 gr TSX would provide as much penetration and a flatter trajectory. As for the 270 a 130 TSX will penetrate as deep or deeper than a 150 gr cup& core bullet will. The 130 TSX is great on the 270 Win. Hope that helps

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the 270 some rifles don't like the 130+ grain monometal bullets. We've had several people come into our shop with rifles that had the slower twist rates and wouldn't stabalize them. The 110gr bullets were perfect and as you mentioned, they perform like a heavier bullet. I did some accuracy work for a friend on his pre64 M70.

It wouldn't be my choice for elk, but deer, pig, antelope its perfect. Flat shooting, lighter recoil and as you see, shoots very well.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeepers that picture came out big!

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote