Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

large rifle vs. large pistol magnum primers
 Login/Join

posted
Just a project my uncle and I have decided to try. I am working on loads for my 44mag single shot rifle and discovered I am out of large pistol magnum primers. So we have decided to test a couple of loads using a moderate charge of h110 under a 240gr jhp bullet using a large rifle primer instead of a Large Pistol Magnum primer. Has anyone ever did this? The load is not a hot or compressed and my bullets have been re-cannelured to let me seat them out further. Let me know what you think. I will post results soon

If you put enough rounds down range the enemy is bound to run in to one sooner or later.

Posts: 20 | Location: Ala "By God" Bama | Registered: 21 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I tried CCI 250 (large rifle magnum primers) in my 44 Magnum with H110 and had to decrease the load by 1 or 2 grains compared to loads with large pistol primers.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I used win large rifle primers in my 44 loads that had a HT 283gn fp over 22gn H110 and had very good results. Elmer advised not to use the mag pistol primers in the 44 mag as it could lead to wider E S in velocity and fluctuating pressurs. I used the WLR primers in my heavy loads but the WLP in everything else.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm back from my shoot. Some good data. winchester LRP showed a definate increase in fps. 240gr over 24.5gr H110 with fed large pistol primers averaged 1822fps and deviated 26fps, the same load with the WLRP averaged 1855 and only deviated 6fps. Compared to using federal LP think the WLRP was a definate improvement.
Also tested some hotter loads none showed any real signs of high pressure. Went up to 27gr of H110 with large pistol primers and got 1942fps. Next test will be 27gr h110 with the WLRPs.

If you put enough rounds down range the enemy is bound to run in to one sooner or later.

Posts: 20 | Location: Ala "By God" Bama | Registered: 21 August 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention I shot some CCI Blazers 44spl with 200gr GoldDots. Through my superredhawks 7-1/2" barrel I got 946fps. But throught the rifle I got as high as 1215fps with an average of 1195fps deviation of 74fps. There was one shot that was only 1141fps the rest were 1175fps or higher. So if you take that one out the deviation drops to 40fps. The 20" barrel take the 44spl into 44mag pistol territory. my rest was not very steady or comfortable I still managed to get less than a 2" group. I think sub 1.5" groups is very possible with the CCI Blazers off a good table.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
we have decided to test a couple of loads using a moderate charge of h110

Reduced charges of H-110 is not a good idea no matter what primer you use.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core is comin' to get ya...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So we have decided to test a couple of loads using a moderate charge of h110 under a 240gr jhp bullet using a large rifle primer instead of a Large Pistol Magnum primer. Has anyone ever did this? The load is not a hot or compressed and my bullets have been re-cannelured to let me seat them out further. Let me know what you think. I will post results soon

I certainly hope all goes Hoyle with your project; but here's a tidbit that my be useful.

Large Pistol & Large Rifle primers MAY be the same size (I dunno 'cause I've never bothered to measure them) BUT the primer pockets on LARGE PISTOL brass are cut a tad deeper than LARGE RIFLE cases.

Now you're gonna ask, "Why does a Dweeb like me know this?"

Because when ordering "Thingies" from Sinclair there's different sizes for the Primer Pocket Uniformers.

Small Rifle & Small Pistol take the same cutter and Large Rifle & Large Pistol are different sizes; the Large Pistol cuts deeper - I cannot remember how much but on the previous (years ago) Sinclair website it stated the specific depths.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.a...er_Pocket_Uniformers

Now I don't know if this is gonna makea a Hill-of-Beans outa your project; just beware that that your Large Rifle primers may be seated DEEPER in the primer pockets of 44 Magnum brass cases.

So, if you would perhaps get some "light" primer strikes you'll know where the issue stems from.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does the same go for 44mag use in a pistol? Can large rifle primers be used in place of large magnum pistol primers in a S&W 629-6 if those two were the only primers you had on hand?

Posts: 166 | Location: NY | Registered: 09 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
As said I used the WLR primers in my heavy loads in both a 24in oct barrelled Rossi and a 7 1/2 in Super Blackhawk withadmirable results.

I have just had a measure of sample primers and the cci lp is .1145 and the wlr is .125.so it seems that the rifle primer pocket is deeper. I had no problems with seating depth with the wlr in the lp primer pocket.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
quote:
we have decided to test a couple of loads using a moderate charge of h110

Reduced charges of H-110 is not a good idea no matter what primer you use.

Moderate, not reduced. I started at 24.5gr.

Who is Hot Core? and why is he after me?

Did not try the magnum rifle primers but I do have some so I may try them later.

I checked the primers and they seated well in new remington brass, but I will keep an I on the seating depth if I use them for future loads.

I hope to have my new shooting bench finished by tomorrow so maybe I can get some loads tested for accuracy.

Thanks again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bmazingo:
Who is Hot Core? and why is he after me? ...
Me. Not after you at all.

That would just be hb's way of making himself out to be the North end of a South bound Horse. tu2
-----

Another problem with using Large Rifle Mag Primers, is the Cup is Harder. Some Revolvers have enough Hammer Impact to make them fire and some do not. Always a good idea to load only a "few" at first and see if they Fire.

And of course their Burn Rate is a bit longer duration than a Pistol Primer. This can also result in cleaner burning Slow Powders like the H110(WW-296, H-2400, etc.)

If you want to know for sure you are not exceeding SAFE Pressure Limits, then you would need to use the always reliable, totally repeatable, never fail CHE & PRE. (Most people on here LOVE IT whenever I mention CHE & PRE. rotflmo)

The 44Mag is a right fine Revolver and Rifle cartridge for up-close Deer. If you use Hornady XTPs, you can expect them to remain "inside" the Deer. If chasing Hogs, a Gas Checked Keith Style "Lead" Bullet will penetrate to Tennessee. Surely you know to always shoot toward the North. Big Grin

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
LMAO

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who is Hot Core?

animal... jumping rotflmo

Sorry, my bad... couldn't resist...

If you want to meet Hot Core... just mention the words "Blue Dot" and any rifle cartridge you can think of...

afterwards, it will kind of like not knowing what the word Tornado meant.. but after surviving the touch down of one.. then you know what every one is talking about...

Glen's an okay guy... but he gets livid over the words Blue Dot.. jumping

just sit back and watch the fireworks...

oh, Glen ( Hot Core) is also the WORLDS leading authority on reloading... pressure and deer hunting...

if you don't believe him, just ask him.. and sit back and he'll explain it all over the next 30 minutes...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What wrong with Blue Dot???

I have used it in my 44 and in my 45acp.

Wait!, let me get my flak vest put on....okay let it rip!