New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reduced 270 Loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know there is similar thread going but I didn't want to hijack it, so...

I shoot 130 grain Hornady SSTs. I also hunt predators and varmints after deer season. I would like to use the same bullet because I have a couple hundred of them. My shots on crows, coyotes, coons and the like will be at the most 150 yards with 75 yards being much more common.

I have heard that you can use Blue Dot to greatly reduce the load but I don't know where to start. I also read that you can reduce normal charges down by 30% or so and still be safe.

Any thoughts or corrections on this?

And oh yeah... first time poster!

Posts: 113 | Location: Cajun Country | Registered: 12 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found this:

My apologies to those that are tired of seeing the words Blue Dot.

Per the request of several people, I did manage to finally get out and do some tests with the 270. Forgive me but the weather has not been real cooperative in Oregon lately to do anything, unless you are a DUCK.

I was noticing some pressure problems with the 30/06 when I tested it, that it was not able to get to the 50% of max capacity before it was exhibiting pressure problems with the primers. I was shooting for over 50% in these loads since some guys have talked about the fear of a double charge.

2400 fps seems to be a good benchmark of the top end of MV without redlining pressures.

At the request of those who were interested I picked a 110 grain Sierra and a 130 grain Hornady Bullets for testing.
The Hornady was seated to the cannelure, and the Sierra to the same overall length.

Necked sized Rem brass was used, with a CCI Large Rifle primer.

Max Case capacity was 50.6 grains of Blue Dot.

I chose to start at 40% of that figure, or 20 grains of Blue Dot.
Because I had pressure problems at 48 % in the 30/06, I stopped at 24 grains or 48%.

Rifle was a Winchester Model 70 with a Boss.

110 grain Sierra:
1. 20 grs: 2196 fps
2. 21 grs: 2232 fps
3. 22 grs: 2302 fps
4. 23 grs: 2419 fps
5. 24 grs: 2447 fps

NO pressure problems noticed at all.

Hornady 130 grain SP
1. 20 grs: 2092 fps
2. 21 grs: 2117 fps
3. 22 grs: 2113 fps ( yeah less than above)
4. 23 grs: 2181 fps
5. 24 grs: 2237 fps

No pressure problems noticed again.

Since I had no pressure problems at 48 % or 24 grains, I will work up loads until I hit 2400 fps with the 130 grain bullet, for the sake of testing.

I am sure the 110 grain bullet can be pushed to higher velocities but everyone has to make a personal decision if that fits their applications. The 110 grain is recommended by Sierra for Deer also,even tho it is listed as varmint bullet. It should be a great application for kids with a 270.

IN the 130 grain range, I would recommend a Ballistic Tip for that application, due to its accuracy and ability to open up well at that velocity.

if people are interested in results in a 140 or 150 grain bullet, I may consider the tests if I get a response. Although I would prefer a heavier bullet than 130 in the 270 myself, I think the 130 is going to be more than adequate for the application, deer in a low recoiling rifle for women and kids.

2250 fps, zeroed 3.5 inches high at 100 yds, would be dead on at 200 yds.

Cheers and good shooting
seafire

Anyone try it? Results?

Posts: 113 | Location: Cajun Country | Registered: 12 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
for a reduced 270 load I use 18 grains of Unique and the 130 grain Nosler ballistic tip for 1,850 fps in a Ruger #1A. at 100 yards it is good for 1 inch groups

Posts: 110 | Location: Minden , Nebraska | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Speer # 10 manual lists 22 gr of SR4759 with a 130 gr in a 270 for 1655 fps and 26 gr of SR4759 gives 1957 fps with the same bullet.

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should I just seat to the cannelure and crimp? My Hornady manual states a COL of 3.210. What does Speer say?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,
Why the new handle?

Punch

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why you would want to crimp a bullet unless it is in a lever action or maybe a heavy recoiling round. if you have good tension between the bullet and the case a crimp is not needed

Posts: 110 | Location: Minden , Nebraska | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was under the impresion that a good crimp helped maintain more consistent pressures. I also thought it allowed for better accuracy because you didn't have to be so precise in seating the bullet of the lands. Is this just true for the 3000 fps 270 loads as opposed to the reduced loads?

one of us
posted Hide Post
like I said previously I don't believe in crimping any rifle load unless it is for a lever action or a heavy recoiling rifle. as long as you have good tension with the bullet and case the crimp adds nothing more. a lot of jacketed bullets don't have a crimping groove anyway. a lot of factory ammo has crimps but they have their reasoning and again I don't know why. I don't know what you mean by the "didn't have to be so precise in seating the bullet of the lands" part of your statement?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Speer #10 manual does not give COL for these loads. They do list a reduced load for almost all of the popular rifle calibers (for 1980). This data is listed as just another powder on the page. The inference would be that no special techniques are required.
I have used several of the reduced loads listed in this manual. 30-06, 300 Win, & 25-06. I used my standard reloading practices with no crimp and had very satisfactory results.

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
I, too, cannot say enough good things about the Speer manual reduced loads. Very accurate and very pleasant to shoot. I've used them in both 270 and 338 for my wife's evolution as a hunter. Really helps teach inexperienced shooters how to shoot the gun well without teaching them how to flinch at the same time. SR 4759 is a very cool option!

Posts: 742 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as the earlier post about the relation of the crimp and seeting of the bullet off (not "of" as previously mistyped) the lands...

I was under the impression from reading certain texts that a crimp would help maintain more consistent pressures without having to be so precise in seating the bullet .002-.005 off the lands.

I know crimping is not necessary in all cases but can it really hurt if don't over crimp a light jacketed bullet and use a bullet that has a cannelure?

one of us
posted Hide Post
the crimp and the precise seating of the bullet are two different issues. the only thing else to say is try the same load with and without the crimp to see if there is a difference between the two. I doubt very seriously that you will see any difference

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a .270 and have never cast bullets for one. RCBS does make a mold that looks like the mold for the .22 and .243 which I have cast for. Both have been very accurate and I don't see why the .270 wouldn't be. For some real reduced,mild loads try cast bullets.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote