New
Find
Notify
Tools

Too much bell on 38 specials
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought out reloaders estate. Part of the estate was several hundred primed 38 special cases. The only problem is that about half of them have so much bell that they will not enter the cylinder. So, solutions? Is it not a problem, and the Dillon crimp die will fix it? Get a Lee Factory Crimp Die (I have been using this for years on 45 Colt, 454 Casull)? Pull off the decaping pin and run through the full length sizer die again?

Thanks for the help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee taper crimp die.

Posts: 798 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why you are trying to push the cases into the chamber before they have been loaded and crimped. The case rim is belled so that it's walls aren't crushed during bullet seating, but your seating die should be set for a crimp, or crimped with a crimp die.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Mouth.
If you are new to reloading pistol, get a good book and it will tell you about case mouth belling. It's not supposed to go into the cylinder, as duck said.
Here's a true story. My new wife, decades ago now, thought she would help me by prepping some 357 brass, while I was in the field for a few weeks. When I got back, she showed them to me; 250 357 cases, belled for at least a quarter inch down; you could have fit a 45 bullet into them.
What she did was not realize that the expander die was set for 38 special, not 357.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Mouth.
If you are new to reloading pistol, get a good book and it will tell you about case mouth belling. It's not supposed to go into the cylinder, as duck said.
Here's a true story. My new wife, decades ago now, thought she would help me by prepping some 357 brass, while I was in the field for a few weeks. When I got back, she showed them to me; 250 357 cases, belled for at least a quarter inch down; you could have fit a 45 bullet into them.
What she did was not realize that the expander die was set for 38 special, not 357.

Yessir, They surely can be over-done.
I use a 38 special set for both 38 and 357 and it could be a real issue if not adjusted properly for each of the 2 cartridges.
I bell just enough to not catch the case mouth with the bullet during the seating operation.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Mouth.

What are you complaining about? The cases now have a little more capacity----just use a little more powder! Roll Eyes

Hip

Posts: 1894 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
see if they enter the seating die, that's all you need to worry about.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Post a pic so we can see if they have that blunderbuss look. Excessive belling will probably result in more split case mouths. Cases are belled to prevent lead shaving when seating lead bullets. Also to prevent crushing since it's uncommon to have boattail pistol bullets.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1568 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote