New
Find
Notify
Tools

.30 cal 150 tsx for elk
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anybody have any experience with .30 cal 150 grn TSX on elk? Are they heavy enough ?

Posts: 1094 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A little more info would be nice..What cartridge are you using that 150 gr TSX in ? In a 308 or 30-06 should be fine. If you are using a 300 mag I would move up to 165 or 180 gr.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the cartridge and the range . . . at some distance, a bullet fired by a 300 Weatherby sheds energy to equal that of a .30-30 at 50 yards. You can extrapolate from that line of logic.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got it running 2780 fps at the muzzel, aprox 1950 at 300 yards. Probably max range for shooter ( small woman). I'm just used to using 165 grn tsx in 0-6 for just about everything. She's shooting 300 ruger compact mag with 16" barrel. Wanted something very lite to carry. She handles recoil fine with custom fit stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your best bet would be to call Barnes and ask them for the expansion window for that particular bullet.

Once you know that, it's still kind of a guess: how much expansion is enough for you/her, and will shots be restricted to angles and ranges that will ensure that a minimal-but-acceptable expanded bullet will reach the vitals.

I've found bullet companies to be very good sources for this kind of question.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but those are the issues that should be addressed. IMO.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been loading them for years in my daughter's 300 WSM (which flings them substantially faster than that) and she's killed a pile of deer and elk.
It's big enough to pass through!
I'd limit shots to 300 yards to keep the impact velocity up to where expansion is sufficient, IMHO.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, sounds like they'll be fine. No need around here to shoot over 300 yards with a little strategy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive shot one cow elk with the 150 tsx bullet in my 7x57 and some African plains game, it worked..

I would however recommend the 180 gr for all elk and elk size game, as it may be necessary to take a Texas heart shot for a follow up for instance.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eny:
Does anybody have any experience with .30 cal 150 grn TSX on elk? Are they heavy enough ?

Have killed cow moose with them and cow elk in 30-06 and a train load of deer no issues shots 200 to 250 yards or so. Friends have killed a few bull and cow elk, bull and cow moose with them in 300 short mag 300 win mag and 30-06 from closer ranges to about 400 yards. They work pretty much the same as a 165 weight lead core bullet just keep the impact velocity 1800 fps and above and put the bullet where it needs to go and all should be fine.
I have a picture here somewhere of a nice cow moose from this past season taken with a 30-06 shooting the 150 TTSX at just a skitch under 2900 fps average (need to check my notes) 219 yard shot... stumble stumble thump. I am currently getting ready to roll up 200 of this exact load starting tomorrow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipster:
quote:
. . . just keep the impact velocity 1800 fps and above and put the bullet where it needs to go and all should be fine. ...
THE answer. IMO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys, I think they will work for her Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've not used it on Elk, but have shot plenty of plains game with it from my 30-06, so I'd not hesitate to use in on Elk.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
It'll be fine. I use that bullet in my .300 WSM for everything from coyotes up to bull elk and oryx. Absolutely no issues. We also shoot that bullet in my son's .308. He's killed a pronghorn, four cow elk, a bull elk, and three oryx without muss or fuss.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes.

I have shot literally 100’s of African plains game, all the way to eland with various rifles shooting 130, 140 and 150 grain bullets.

Never noticed any difference in the performance at all.

All worked great.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68689 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Saeed
Do you ever shoot plain old cup and core lead bullets these days?

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3077 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal30 1906:
Saeed
Do you ever shoot plain old cup and core lead bullets these days?

About 40 years ago I did.

Winchester Silvertips in a 375 H&H and Remington SP in a 25-06.

All worked, but found the Silvertips would blow up sometimes without penetrating.

This happened on a warthog with the 375 H&H.

Destroyed his shoulder blade, but never went into the chest cavity.

I used Sierra Match Kings on many animals as an experiment with a new wildcat I built.

30/404.

180 grain were going around 3800 fps.

Killed everything with it, but penetration was terrible.

I think animal died of shock.

A zebra shot on the shoulder.

Shoulder was destroyed by a foot wide wound where he was hit.

Bullet totally disintegrated, never made it into the chest cavity.

Zebra died instantly.

Used Trophy Bonded Bear Clwas in many calibers.

Worked great.

Used Jensen bullets too.

These are made like the Bear Claws.

lead in a cup at the front, and solid copper shank at the rear.

Worked very well.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68689 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I have had the older bullets come apart on occasion myself and prefer solid copper bullets for hunting but find the cost prohibitive for just shooting them just to shoot. Velocity has been the biggest issue for me. Bullets have come a long ways in the last 30 years. Probably my favorite is the Nosler partition but it can fail too.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3077 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote