New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Powder Measure
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an RCBS powder measure that has worked very well for many years. However, lately the reservoir (green plastic tube that holds powder) has started holding granules (Green Dot) against the sides. I can't scrub them out with a toothbrush. Anyone experienced this? Any advice?

Mike

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1111 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Try to get a good load with Red Dot or Blue Dot.

sorry had to Mad

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Humor accepted with a laugh. Answer: Shooting up an 8# bottle of Green Dot left over from shotgun days. Shooting all I want with no concern for running out.
P.S. Scotch Bright and sand paper somewhat effective.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1111 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nylon bore brush on a drill?

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like static electricity. Try wiping out the powder resavoir with a static guard clothes drying sheet.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's more than static as the granules appear to bond (fuse) to the plastic. I'll try the brush in a drill motor. Thanks all.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact RCBS, they probably have a newer replacement available.

Posts: 798 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Good advice, they have always been customer-friendly.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I too thought static electricity but maybe it is the Green Dot powder deteriorating causing it to stick to the walls of the reservoir e.g. some nitric acid 'wetting' of the granules which may cause some fusion to the plastic. What does the powder smell like?

Maybe a very very very light dusting of the powder with graphite would solve this, not very scientific as may affect burn rate. A dusting of the reservoir walls with graphite could be better.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May I ask how long the powder was in the measure for?

Posts: 504 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a Lyman 55 powder measure that is completely clouded up due to powder erosion. Of course it’s over 40 years old. While looking for a replacement, I came across a company that makes glass or Pyrex replacement reservoirs. You might search for one of these.

Another thought…… I have washed mine with dish detergent in a concentrated solution then let it dry without rinsing. This helps control static electricity.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 969 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found it….

https://dramworx.com/products/rcbs/

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 969 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
That is very cool Mike. Wish they added a spigot to the bottom.

https://dramworx.com/products/rcbs/

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I have never left powder or lead shot sit in their plastic reservoirs between shotgun or rifle loading seasons so my reservoirs have remained reasonably clean. Recently purchased another Lyman Easy Loader set up for 20G and it had very dirty shot and powder reservoirs. A couple of screws hold the reservoir plate on so took that off and submerged the reservoirs in warm water with an ordinary washing powder, the oxidation type, for a good soaking. That cleaned them up nicely.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
buy a new plastic reservoir to start with and dump the green stuff in your flower garden...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great answer Ray; but where to buy?

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

one of us
posted Hide Post
Call RCBS they will fix you right up..and my bet is no charge..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, You would be correct. Replaced under warranty at least 40 years old. Smiler

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good for you and good loading for the next 100 years to you! tu2

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120