Find
Notify
Tools

Beginner questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Number 1
When you start a loading session do you clean the inside of your dies? One friend has mentioned he does this every time, 2nd friend hasn't ever done it?
Number 2
I use Imperial Wax to lube my cases and they say to use it very sparingly, and I do. I have been just wiping them off with a rag after sizing. Should I be cleaning off the lube with hot water, or one of the various alcohols suggested in another thread?
Thanks Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
I clean my dies when I get them new and have yet to clean any of them a second time.

To clean lube off brass I tumble them for about an hour in corncob media. That is the step after sizing and before priming.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cleaned everything about a year ago , before that I cleaned them when they were new . Some over 40 years old now .

I do use a spray lube on my cases , on and in the dies I spray BoeShield T9 lubricant blow out excess with compressed air , I wipe off the out side with a rag . They set in tool heads ( Dillon loaders ) on special racks which are covered . My loading room has a very Large Door which is open much of the time , so humidity = rust is a factor which I deal with .

Shoot Straight Know your target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Imperial wipe off very easily with nothing more then a dry paper towel. If you just have to have something on the rag, add a touch of Iso alcohol to the towel. I employed this method in the past when I was lubeing with RCBS lube and a pad and didn`t want to load up the media with lube. Now useing Imperial, and being a bit lazier, a few minutes in the tumbler gets the wax off mine if I`ve more then a couple cases to clean.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I don't clean my dies every time, but probably should! This step would help prevent die scratching from any foreign crap that got in it since last use-not a bad idea, actually!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
As others have said, I don't clean my dies everytime, but that's probably a good idea.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote