New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Needed! 243 Ackley Improved
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Supposed to get my 243 back tomorrow after being rechambered to the 243 AI. Need to know what any of you guys like in this one! This is new territory for me!! Thanks in advance!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
85 grain Sierra HPBT and H-4350 From 41.0 grains to 47.0 grains, Remington 9-1/2 Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't pay much attention to published load sources for wildcat or improved cartridges, especially since the case capacity gain in the .243 is so modest that some "standard" .243's may digest as much powder as some "improved" .243"s, depending on the individual rifles involved.

I assume that you have a chronograph. Otherwise, you have no business messing with a non-standard cartridge. So, start with the known loads in your old chamber, check their velocities, and start increasing the powder until velocities get back to where they were before the improvement. At that point, increase the powder slowly and incrementally until pressures indications tell you to stop, then back off a bit. This will put you at the optimum level for your new chamber. At the same pressures, you're likely to gain from 50 to 75 fps, depending on the powder and bullet.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<cris284w>
posted
GHD I have two (2) .243 AI and two (2) regular .243 Win. I really like the 243 AI and used them for long range Grounghog Hunting. I have been using the AI's for about 12 years and have tried a number of different combinations. Anything you do is going to be a trade off. The AI's are really a lot better that the regular version from the standpoint of velocity increases. My favorites are: 44 grains of varget with the 65 Gr. v-max and 49.0 to 49.5 grs. of H414 with the 70 gr. Nosler B.Tip. With a 26" barrel, the 70 gr. nosler should give you about 38oo fps and is a perfectly safe load if you don't jam the bullet in the lands too far..The .243 Ackley is really a great cartridge and you will come to like it a lot...Cris

one of us
posted Hide Post
GHD,
You don't state if the twist is 10" or 12". I reload for a 243 AI with a 24" Lilja stainless fluted with a 1 in 12" twist and it will shoot either 70gr nolsler BT's or Speer TNT's with a near max load of N150 into a .250" group at 100yds with 5 shots. At 300yds the group is still under 1 M.O.A.. Good luck and I think you'll like the caliber. Be sure to fireform properly. There is good data available from the reloading pages (Home Page) of this site. Paul.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I like 75gr V-Max,for making goo..............

<cris284w>
posted
GHD, I forgot to mention that a really great fireform load is one with a very fast burning powder. My first choice is always 40 grs. of H-335 with a 70 gr. bullet just touching the lands. This will give you a perfectly fire formed case and you can go from there.. Good luck....Cris

one of us
posted Hide Post
cris284, I fireformed 30 pieces of brass yeasterday using 41.0 grains of Varget and 70 grain Speer TNT's and 70 grain BT. Had them barely touching the lands and they came out perfect! Now waiting for the dies to get here Wed. or Thursday so I can see what it will do! Thanks for everyones help. Is there a site that has bank of AI reloading data posted? GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
<cris284w>
posted
GHD, Glad your fireform cases came out well, it always helps to get things started off right. About your "bank" of information for the AI: On this sight, you can go back to Accurate Reloading and the second link down is on reloading. Scroll down and there is a section on the .243AI. Some of the suggested loads are conservative but it a good place to start. Also, in the April issue of VARMINT HUNTER Magazine, Steve Timm has a very good article of the .243AI and most of my experience parallels what he found. Some shooters like VVN-150, I haven't tried it recently, but I have found that 44.0 Grs. of Varget with the 65 gr. V-max or the 70 gr. B. Tip works very good for me. H-414 at 49.0 to 49.5 Grs. with the 70 gr Nosler B. Tip is also very good. These are two (2) loads that I have found hard to beat. Would be in interested in what you settle on. Big Stick, has a .243AI and you might want to get him to share some of his experience with you. I think he likes the 75 gr. v-max. I haven't tried it because I liked the other two loads so much. Keep me posted! Cris284w

<cris284w>
posted
GHD, I forgot to mention that the above loads are all with Moly Coated bullets ! ! ! Cris284w