THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: Anyone Study the Effect of Case Volume <EDIT>

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Anyone Study the Effect of Case Volume <EDIT>
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone performed any studies on the effects of increasing/decreasing case volume and muzzle velocity?

I have done so on the 30-06 and one or two others, and can post the data later if anyone is interested.

All this talk lately about "improved" cases has peaked my curiosity.

Thanks,
ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Quote:

All this talk lately about "improved" cases has peaked my curiosity.

or has it peaked your interest in pot stirring.....?

actually if the goal is to plot a curve with a certain caliber and projectile weight starting with the powder charge in a .308 Winchester and follow it to the .300 Ultra mag.....I believe that can be easily done.....and it's data is available in almost any good reloading book that uses pressure barrels to attain their max velocity. If one leaves the data sets to the criteria of "flat looking primers and hard extraction" all you'll get is frustration and a flurry of new english words even my ex-wife hasn't used yet.
It would be a worthy task.....and in theory anyone should be able to measure their case capacity in grains of water and then plot the max potential velocity for that case.

I'll help if you want to go for it.....I'll even put the curve on a calibrated board and post it here.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

Clown

7.5 x 7.5 = 15.5%Am I even close??
maybe I misunderstood,but 7.5x7.5 =56.25

Ray
Quote:

jb

I was leaving out the decimals and zeroes and other such. What I meant to say was 7.5% x 7.5%. I should have writ 1.075 x 1.075 = 1.155. I'm not very good at math, especially when it involves numbers. I'm not even sure the above correction is correct. The answer is supposed to be 15.5%.

Ray

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I'm not very good at math, especially when it involves numbers.

Hey AC, How many shots per data point did you take?

Seems as smooooooooooth as good Kentucky Bourbon.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Clown

I'll take a stab at your question. If you increase the case volume by 7.5%, but using the same powder charge, the velocity will go down by 7.5% but the pressure will go down by the square of the change or 7.5 x 7.5 = 15.5%. So, if the load in the smaller case was 3000 fps at 50,000 cup, in the larger case it would be 2790 fps at 43,300 cup. This is assuming you used a powder appropriate to the case volume and everything else stayed the same.

Am I even close??

NO! If your velocity drops by X feet per second, your pressure also drops, but by TWICE the percentage of velocity drop, NOT THE SQUARE!! (FYI, the square of 7.5% = 56.25%, NOT 15.5%. 15.0% is the correct answer! But you don't get 15.0 by SQUARING 7.5!!)

<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

AC if you load one (1)of these cases a dozen times with the same load what do you get as a velocity spread? I`d hazard the ES of the load pretty much covers the vel deviation you`ve found. I don`t remember where I read it but I recall some writer stating someting on the order of a 10% increase in case volume leading to a 2.5% vel increase with equal pressures.

I support this position also. Other variables are always at work as well as case volume differences.

one of us
posted Hide Post
elde-

I said I wasn't very good at math. I knew the answer was 15 but I don't have that many fingers and it's too cold to take off my shoes so I had to resort to trying to bluff my way through and you caught me.

Ray

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I don`t remember where I read it but I recall some writer stating someting on the order of a 10% increase in case volume leading to a 2.5% vel increase with equal pressures.

yup....this is in line with a lot of other data as well.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote