New
Find
Notify
Tools

.338 bullet ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has any one used the .338 275 gn.Swift bullet? How did it work? I'm thinking of using it my .338 WM @ about 2450 FPS. Good penatration mimanal meat damage, kind of an all around thumper. I know I don,t "need" that heavy of a bullet but... 300 yd drop not to bad, most shots will be less. Bear,Elk mostly and we have a lot of griz around here.Griz in friends yards some aeras closed from July 15th to Oct.1 due to so many griz. And I know a 250 gn. @ 2600 or so will work, But big, or heavy as the case may be sounds like fun. Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenBosely:
Has any one used the .338 275 gn.Swift bullet? How did it work? I'm thinking of using it my .338 WM @ about 2450 FPS. Good penatration mimanal meat damage, kind of an all around thumper. I know I don,t "need" that heavy of a bullet but... 300 yd drop not to bad, most shots will be less. Bear,Elk mostly and we have a lot of griz around here.Griz in friends yards some aeras closed from July 15th to Oct.1 due to so many griz. And I know a 250 gn. @ 2600 or so will work, But big, or heavy as the case may be sounds like fun. Allen

I've used the 250 gr. quite a bit, the 275 grain should be just the ticket in your area.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My best .338 loads are with the 250 Nosler Gold PT. Moly Free over RE-22; I have five rifles so chambered and have owned/used a total of twelve. I think that this is the optimum weight for this cartridge and consider the Swift A-Frame in 275 gr. to be less efficient, but, YMMV. I get 2700+ fps. from my 23" Dakota 76 and a tad more from my 25" P-64 Mod. 70s; this is my favourite cartridge-load combo for B.C. and has been since Jan. '68 when I bought my first .338 and started loading those old RN-NPs with the funny coloured jackets.

I would also like to try Northforks in this cartridge for an identical situation to that you are dealing with, the reports I have on these are REALLY impressive.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I tried them for grins & giggles but it was too much of a good thing for me.

My favorite load for my .338WM is a 250gr. Woodliegh PRP over a warm charge of RL22, WLRM's, in Rp cases. It groups well and is flawless on game. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i used the 250 aframe in my ruger ss for brown bear in alaska in 2002 & was satisfied. Master Guide brad dennison advised against the nosler, as he had 3 hunters with bullet failures. accuracy was excellent.....chaz

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote