New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Die Set Problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 3-Die Set for .41 Mag SWC (Part # 18506). The dies were last used in 1997, I think. Last night I decided to reload a box of ammo utilizing some unprimed cases I had. I used the Sizer die and then primed the cases. Next I started to use the Expander-Decapping die and it dawned on me that with the cases having new primers, I couldn't use that die as designed because the Decapping Pin would impact the new primer.

My solution was to remove the Expander from the die to get at the Decapping Pin Holder and remove it to get the (old style) Decapping Pin out of the way. My plan was to then use the Expander Die to expand the case mouth.

When I removed the Decapping Pin Holder I discovered that I could not pull the Decapping Pin. (I assumed the old-style pin would drop right out.) I believe the pin is probably gunk-locked in place. I don't want to break the pin as the die would then be useless with the broken part of the pin still embedded solidly in the holder.

I've decided that first I will set those 50 primed cases aside and start with 50 more cases with spent primers; go through the reloading procedure in the proper sequence, and then disassemble the die again and see if the stuck decapping pin is free (whatever gunk had set-up around the pin had been dislodged).

If I still find I am in the same situation with a pin I can't remove, I was thinking of soaking the Expander-Decapping Unit in some solution, with the Decapping Pin Holder removed, to see if that won't free-up the Decapping Pin so I can pull it.

My question is, what solution would be best to use to try to loosen that pin? Is there a spray or soaking solution that would dissolve whatever 21 year-old lubricant has congealed around that pin?

I hate just throwing away those 50 newly primed cases.

Posts: 13877 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You can deprime the cases without any problems.

We do it all the time.

You must have a strange die set.

All the ones we have the sizing die de[rimes too.

The expander does nothing but expand the case mouth and the seater of course seats and crimps if you wish.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't understand.

Size deprime all the same operation all the same die

Next expand and bell the case mouth

Next seat the bullet and crimp.

I prime a lot of pistol cases before I expand and bell.

Depriming has nothing to do with the expanding and belling the case.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
It sounds like he has one die as a sizer, one die that deprives and expands the mouth.

Never seen anything like this before.

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Primers are cheap and have a bridge across the inside that will keep the pin away from the ignition source. Take it slow and you'll be fine.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have removed live primers in their thousands, never had a single one go off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
I have a 3-Die Set for .41 Mag SWC (Part # 18506). The dies were last used in 1997, I think. Last night I decided to reload a box of ammo utilizing some unprimed cases I had. I used the Sizer die and then primed the cases. Next I started to use the Expander-Decapping die and it dawned on me that with the cases having new primers, I couldn't use that die as designed because the Decapping Pin would impact the new primer.

My solution was to remove the Expander from the die to get at the Decapping Pin Holder and remove it to get the (old style) Decapping Pin out of the way. My plan was to then use the Expander Die to expand the case mouth.

When I removed the Decapping Pin Holder I discovered that I could not pull the Decapping Pin. (I assumed the old-style pin would drop right out.) I believe the pin is probably gunk-locked in place. I don't want to break the pin as the die would then be useless with the broken part of the pin still embedded solidly in the holder.

I've decided that first I will set those 50 primed cases aside and start with 50 more cases with spent primers; go through the reloading procedure in the proper sequence, and then disassemble the die again and see if the stuck decapping pin is free (whatever gunk had set-up around the pin had been dislodged).

If I still find I am in the same situation with a pin I can't remove, I was thinking of soaking the Expander-Decapping Unit in some solution, with the Decapping Pin Holder removed, to see if that won't free-up the Decapping Pin so I can pull it.

My question is, what solution would be best to use to try to loosen that pin? Is there a spray or soaking solution that would dissolve whatever 21 year-old lubricant has congealed around that pin?

I hate just throwing away those 50 newly primed cases.

You can carefully punch out the primers and use them again.

I would try putting the pin in a vise and use a torch to warm the area where it enters the stem while pulling on the stem unit. If you get it apart I'd soak both pieces in a little charcoal started fluid in a GLASS vessel. You didn't mention die brand.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1568 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, me too; won't hurt anything, and yes, some makes of dies (RCBS old ones) do have the decapping pin in the expander plug.
So, you just grab the pin in a vise and pull it out. It ain't stuck that tight.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Die Set is an "RCBS 3 Die Set For Straight-Wall Type Rifle and Pistol Cases".

The top of the first die says "RCBS 41 MG. SIZE #1 79" The second die reads "RCBS 41 Mag", but is obviously the Expander-Decapping Assembly as described in the RCBS booklet I got with the die set. The third die is the bullet seater and reads "RCBS 41 MG. SEAT 79".

Right now I have the Decapping Pin Holder soaking in bore solvent. I found I had a can of Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber. I'll try that next and if I don't get the pin loose I'll decap the new primers as described here.

Thanks for all the ideas.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Did you clamp the pin in a vise and pull it out? You won't hurt it. It is not supposed to be "loose". Not meaning to be snippy, but you did unscrew the nut?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The proper procedure is to size the case with the sizing die, expand the neck and deprime the case (even though the case has no primers) then prime and load the case. This is the way older RCBS pistol dies are set up.

Hip

Posts: 1894 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is not the OP's problem; he primed them before he inside neck expanded them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Does Any body knows when RCBS stopped making dies like this.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only comment I've found online is, "pre-1990s".

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had RCBS pistol dies a lot older then that.

Most likely an option if one wanted it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought the die set in question in the 1980s.

After soaking in bore solvent overnight, I placed the decapping pin in a vise and pulled on the assembly to extract it, without success.

I'm going to start from scratch; load a box of ammo using casings with fired primers and see if de-capping 50 old primers will have any affect on movement of that decapping pin. If I still can't get it removed I'll decap the good primers in the cases I started with a few days ago and revert to Square-1 with that lot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
soak it in any kind of penetrating oil. WD 40 will work but don't let it dry out. It will just gunk it up some more. The carrier in WD 40 is pretty good at cutting gunk. The decapper pins should be pretty tough. Soak it, tap the end with a hammer( don't brad it!) and then clamp it in a soft jaw vice, try to turn it.

Posts: 752 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Send it to me; I will get it out. I have several sets like that from the 60s and 70s; trust me; they will come out.