Find
Notify
Tools

Do you get increased pressure with Accubonds
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted
I have been working on my hunting loads for deer. Testing the 140 gr 7mm RM. I have tried three bullets so far Hornady Interbond, Barnes TSX, and the Accubonds.Of the three the accubonds show pressure signs way ahead of the other two. Do you get similar responses from them?

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Yes. I had to back off my 378 WBY ans in my 7mm mag...by 2 grains in both

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found the accubonds to behave almost identical to the ballistic tip and partition as far as pressure signs are concerned.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too find that the accubonds, the Ballistic Tips and the Partitions like the identical load and there are no signs of more pressure in the Accubonds. The Ballistic Tips and the Accubonds shoot tighter groups than the Partitions.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had to back off the 200 accubonds in my 300WM as much as a grain compared to my 200 grain partition load. Too bad since the best accuracy came when the primers barely started to crater, and on occasion would crater badly.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad I'm not the only one facing this problem. I loaded some 200 grainers in my 300 H&H a week ago and loaded them according to Nosler's data for 200 gr. Partitions. With a max load of H4831SC, I had to do everything short of using a rubber mallet to lift the bolt. Accuracy was outstanding, 4 shots into one ragged hole at 50 yards, but the pressure was to great. I backed off the powder charge by a grain and pressure is OK and will shoot 3/4" at 100 yds. Good enough for hunting the big beasts.

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I load the 7mm/160gr in my .280 & the AB shows alittle lessvel./pressure than a 160grNP.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So far I've used the 140 gr. Accubond in my .270 Winchester, and the 200 gr. Accubond in my .300 Weatherby. I have not found them to go over-pressure any more quickly than other bullets of the same weight. I do moly coat all my bullets, so that may affect both velocity and pressure.

I have found these Accubonds to be the most accurate bullets I've ever tried in these two rifles, and I've also found the most accurate load to be the one at max pressure and velocity. In other words, accuracy increases as I go heavier in my loads.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do they show increased pressure compared to what? They show more pressure than reg Hornady's and Sierra's, less than Failsafes or Standard Barnes X, and similar to Triple Shocks and Partitions.
That being said you should ALWAYS reduce powder charges and rework up when changing bullets. (Which of course I don't always do ).........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Glad I'm not the only one facing this problem. I loaded some 200 grainers in my 300 H&H a week ago and loaded them according to Nosler's data for 200 gr. Partitions. With a max load of H4831SC, I had to do everything short of using a rubber mallet to lift the bolt. Accuracy was outstanding, 4 shots into one ragged hole at 50 yards, but the pressure was to great. I backed off the powder charge by a grain and pressure is OK and will shoot 3/4" at 100 yds. Good enough for hunting the big beasts.

What is a maximum load in one rifle is perhaps way over, or way under, a max load in another! In this case, it is obvious that what you are calling "a max load of H4831SC" is way over maximum in your rifle. That's why you are cautioned to work up new loads. If you START your load development by shooting a load designated as "maximum" by someone else, you may NEVER have a problem. However, you might just end up with your rifle bolt embedded in your forehead..... In addition, any time the reduction of ONE GRAIN OF POWDER in a charge as large as the .300 H&H takes changes pressures from WAY TOO HIGH to OK, you are very much on the ragged edge.