Login/Join

<.>
posted
What I have on hand (fastest to slowest) is:

HS-6
H-110
BL-C (2)
H-414

I want to fire form cases for .223 Ackley Imp. without tossing away a lot of bullets. I've heard that a "half load" or something like that, topped with corn meal and a wax plug will form the case.

I suppose I could 'spermint . . . But I'm sure someone has done this before.

Anyone have "load data" for this process? Can I get away with using the powder I have on hand or should I spring for some Bullseye?

Finally . . . This gonna make a lot of noise, or can I do it shooting out of the back door of the laundry room and into 200' of back yard without having neighbors call the police? (If it's louder than a 22 rifle, it's too loud. -- although the laundry room would dampen the noise.)

Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two Ackleys and use the fireform process to get an idea of what it likes for a load and go from there. For me the cases form better with full power loads in the std calibre.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why waste a shot and a bullet? Full power standard loads will likely give you sufficient accuracy and velocity to be used in your usual hunting and shooting, and as Rich says, the full power loads do a better job of fireforming.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I fireform with H-335 and bulk R/P 50gr SP's. Great accuracy,great utility and crisp shoulders..............

one of us
posted Hide Post
This website is great!! I was just going to ask the same question in relation to a .30-06 AI I am presently having done. Thanks for the info.

Posts: 214 | Location: Cochrane Alberta Canada | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Hutt>
posted
I shoot the same old loading I used before rechambering without loss of accuacy.I varmint shoot with both std and ack and dont waste powder, labor, or bullets.Soon enough you will have plenty of FF's on hand.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Genghis,
We do our fireforming in the field. Nothing like fireforming and stopping a beating heart at the same time! Two "birds" with one stone (in my case it's pasture poodles). I have done the cornmeal forming in my 257 rob. ack. and vs. the fullpower loads you'll find they form better when loaded with a max load for the standard 223. Just find a load that gives acceptable accuracy and before you know it, all the cases are done. Then the real fun begins!

Posts: 180 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote