New
Find
Notify
Tools

HOT 6.5x55 data wanted
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I mated a M/38 swedish mauser barrel to a modern husqvarna 1600 series action that they used for 358 Norma mag, 308 win among other high pressure rounds... I am looking for data NOT FOR A SWEDISH MAUSER but for a modern strong action. I plan or RL22 as the powder and 140 grain bullets - think I'll start out at 48 grains of powder and work up over a chrono atempting to reach 2800-2900 FPS. My barrel is 23.5 inches long 7.8:1 twist. Is this just asking for trouble?

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
CIP 6.5 Swede data maxs at 55K psi and SAAMI 46K. Speer and Nosler manuals have data to ~ 50K CUP, up from 46K SAAMI max, probably around the CIP max if you looked at it with a piezo unit..
I doubt you`ll find printed data heavier then these loads from a reputable lab.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a "commercial" action with a 24" bbl Alliant reccomends 45 grains of R-22 with a 140gr bullet, fps=2655. Where you go from there is entirely up to you. You make the call.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a few loads at 48 grains i think... i'll have to go back and look...
Thanks,
Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After a little more looking I believe I should be able to get 2700 FPS out of the old girl... the 260 Rem does it with less case capacity and 46 grains of RL22---- So I start lower and work up to about 2700 FPS with R22 - guessing about 47 grains - and should be under what the gun could handle... correct?

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I load a 140 Hornady with 47.5gr of R22 in my Swede, a Mark X with 24" Hart bbl. This load is 0.5gr over Lymans #48 max for this bullet wgt. I`ve went to 48gr with no sign of pressure however groups opened up a bit at that point on me. Likely as much the shooter as the load. The vel @ 47.5gr is just at or slightly under 2700 fps depending on the lot of powder, temp, humidity, and probably what I had for breakfast.....
48 gr of R22 is reportedly used by quite a few shooters but, I`d work up watching for problems. I suspect you`re at 260 Rem pressure with that load.

BTW the 260 Rem has only a couple grains less water capacity from what I`ve measured in the past then a 6.5x55 when filled to the case mouth. Not enought to give either a cut & dry velocity edge at equal psi IMO

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm also interested in this, as I havea PAC-NOR Supermatch on my Ruger 77MkII action...

AT the moment, I'm using ADI 2209 (roughly equivalent to 4350) but it seems pressure rises very quickly when getting the loads 'up there'... especially with Nosler Ballistic tips!

My barrel has a 1:8" twist - would a slower powder be better?

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rugeruser,
You do have Alliant powders down under, correct? or Norma MRP? Just wondering...
Aaron

One of Us
Picture of sherpi
posted Hide Post
Hi I load for sierra game king 140g, with 48.5g of N560, prints 1/2 inch groups of 100 meters.

Also loaded sierra pro hunter 120g, with 50.5g of N160, that gave 22 mm group (undir inch) on 200 meters and 13 mm of 100 meters.

Riffle is sauer 202 and Zeiss classic with german number 4 (not a benchrest scope)

Sauer and Zeiss, perfect match.
Sherpi

Posts: 134 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Rust:
rugeruser,
You do have Alliant powders down under, correct? or Norma MRP? Just wondering...
Aaron

Aaron, as far as I know, both are available, however consistent supply can sometimes be a problem (at least it used to be)..

Just to clarify my situation, I've done some load development with 120 Sierra ProHunters, 140 Sierra MatchKings, 129 Hornady Interlocks, and 120 Nosler BT's...

FWIW, I seek accuracy over velocity any day of the week...

The Sierra's give superb accuracy, and seem to show fairly linear (or predictable) signs of pressure using primer deformation and group size as a guide [yeah, I know it's not reliable, but you'll understand in a few seconds]... as expected, using half grain increments, groups tighten and then open up as the charge increases... and at about that point, the primers start to show obvious signs of flattening more than I'm comfortable with... (no marks on the case head)... so it would seem that the 'node' has a fairly gradual 'approach and departure curve' if you know what I mean.

In contrast, using the same increments with the 120 Nosler BT and 129 Hornady ILock, the approach is similar, and with very good accuracy, but the departure curve appears to be very steep... ie, going from 'normal' looking primers to flattened primers almost filling the pocket... with half a grain increase.

Now I know that every barrel is a law unto itself, but in 40 years of handloading for Hornet, Bee, 222, 223, 243, 25/303, 257Bob, 25-06, 270, 308, 303Brit I've never seen anything like it, unless I've used a powder that was too fast...

Ummm...Errrr... Ahem.....

I think I've just answered my own question. Jacket hardness....

Ooops.

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 44gns of H4350 behind a 139gn Lapua scenar and they're clocking just under 2700. V V accurate and shot superb out to 900yds. It's a fairly hot load though in cases with lower capacity.

Posts: 158 | Location: South East England | Registered: 16 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sherpi,

Do you know how many meters/feet per second your loads are?

One of Us
Picture of sherpi
posted Hide Post
No as I dont have a crono.
The 120 grain: The data from Vhitavori says that it should be around 2950 fps and undir 3000 fps. When zero is on 200 m, it is about 2" high on 100 m.
The 140 grain: The data says it should be little under 2800fps. With the same scope setting it is zeroed on 175m. This load has more recoil.
That said, I shot a Reindeer cow last week with the 120 grains and it worked perfectly. Last year I shot a reindeer buck with the 140 grain bullet load.

Next I am going to load lapua scenar 100 grain

Sauer and Zeiss, perfect match.
Sherpi

Posts: 134 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,
For several years I have used 49 grains of Rl 22 behind a 140 grain Speer bullet in my Model 70 with Norma brass. The rifle is very long throated and I seat the bullet out to match the throat. With that load my rifle only produces 2685 FPS. This is a max load in this rifle. I do get good brass life however.
I do not know if maybe my barrel is a slow one or not but my rifle will not produce the speed that others report.
Regards, Keith

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote