New
Find
Notify
Tools

500 grain bullets for the .416 Rigby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I posted this on the African Hunter forum recently-no replies, so we'll try here.

Does anyone have any experience with 500 grain bullets for the .416 Rigby or any other .416 caliber cartridge? I found a company by the name of Frontier that manufactures .416 caliber 500 grain bullets. I don't know anything about these bullets, however the following is a blurb from their web site.

Known internationally as excellent performers on the range and in the field, Game Ranger bullets are favoured by big bore shooters worldwide. Developed by dedicated hunters and shooters for use on the African savannah, Game Ranger bullets are the choice for 'no compromise' copper-clad big bore bullets. Get the most out of your guns: get 'Game Ranger' bullets!

.416 Game Ranger .416 FP 500 gn

The link to their web-site is http://www.frontierbullets.co.za/game%20ranger.htm

If, these bullets are of decent quality, how do you think they would perform out of a Rigby at a MV of around 2100 fps?

Posts: 116 | Location: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I´ve heard of 450gr for the .416 but never of 500gr -I guess it can be done but why?

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .416 Rigby case could probably drive a 500 gr bullet to 2300-2400 fps and it would be like a ginat 6.5x55 ballistically I reckon!!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I can't help on that one. When I need a bullet of 500 grains, or more, I move up to at least .458 caliber.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
Sorry, I can't help on that one. When I need a bullet of 500 grains, or more, I move up to at least .458 caliber.

Some poeple may not be able to afford a .458 and therefore may want to use 500 gr bullets in there .416, I think the Rigby case has the capacity to drive the 500 gr bullet at respectable speeds...................now your a very experienced reloader Steve so I reckon that you may have something to add in relation to using 500 gr bullets in the .416................is it possible/plausible other than that you personally would step up to a .458 cal to shoot 500 gr bullets ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC: If you can have a .416 then use it as a .416. I think a 450gr (or 400gr) bullet is plenty for the caliber.

Buying a used .458 WM and making it into a Lott or whatever isn´t that expensive.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cewe I know what you and steve are getting at.........................I have a .416 and a .458 lott, but others may not so and may only own and ever want to own a .416, the crux of the question was what loads, speeds etc. could we get with this bullet in .416 cal, not wether he should shoot 500 gr bullets in the .416 or step up to a .458 whatever......................I just wanted to see this guy if possible get some feedback with this bullet and cal combo.

I don't want to argue with anyone, and I don't mean to offend Smiler

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
PC, Hawk shows a 450 & 500gr sp in their line. I have found the Hawk to be way too soft for serious DG use, but there you are, it is available. I see no reason why you could not expect 2200fps from a 500gr bullet out of a .416Rigby or Wby.
http://www.hawkbullets.com/Pricelist.htm
For a heavy, I would stick to the 450gr Woodleigh.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
The .416 Rigby case could probably drive a 500 gr bullet to 2300-2400 fps and it would be like a ginat 6.5x55 ballistically I reckon!!

I have used 500 grains hawk bullet in my
416 rigby. The exposed leadnose are too soft
and will be deformed when reloading!.
However they shoot well, and has some kind of potiential for oversized softskin animls.
The 500 grain bulletoption was THE reason why I settled on a .416 Rigby and not on a .45 cal
rifle. I was sure one day, a good bonded 500grain bullet would be available.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jens that 500 gr bullet would make an excellent pig & roo and feral horse bullet I suspect !!

and would open up dramtically I bet !!