New
Find
Notify
Tools

My very first reloads!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here are my very first reloads! Pretty excited to hit the range and see how it goes! Cool

Caliber: .260 Rem
Powder: Varget
Primer: Fed 210M
Bullet: Nosler Partition
Press: Bonanza Co-Ax
Die: Forster Seater w/Micrometer
Scale: RCBS 10:10 (Ohaus)

Posts: 39 | Location: Saskatoon, SASKATCHEWAN | Registered: 08 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
So far so good. Smiler

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What weight bullet and how much Varget? You'll find those long skinny 6.5 bullets will do a number on deer.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
looking good!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reloading - a hobby in it self. Been doing it since 1966, and still enjoy it.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Good for you! Now just don't succumb to the "Let's see how fast these will go" syndrome. tu2

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fun isn't it. there are those of us who get as much enjoyment out of reloading as shooting

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
See? Not so Difficult after all, huh? Now, as long as they chamber properly and the powder charge is within book limits, you're all set to go. Enjoy.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
fun isn't it. there are those of us who get as much enjoyment out of reloading as shooting

That sure sums it up for me! Love to load.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone! I haven't been to the range yet it's been raining cats and dogs here the last few days. Those are 125gr Nosler Partitions. I have several other bullets on standby but wanna work up a load preferably with these bullets thru my Tikka .260 (1:9 twist).

Posts: 39 | Location: Saskatoon, SASKATCHEWAN | Registered: 08 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Wish you all the best. The Nosler Partition 125 gr bullet is fantastic on large red deer. You will get 2,900 fps in the 260 Rem if you used H4350 or even IMR 4831. I would sugeest that varget is a bit on the fast side for this cartridge.

I loaded a lot for the 6.5X55 and case capacity is quite similar.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue-D,

Fantastic Buddy, welcome to a whole new World!

Just a coupla thoughts from the photos (nice!).

You only have to touch the outside of the case mouth with the chamfering tool; just enough to break the square bead on the case mouth, appears you've got a solid bevel there - may just be the light on the photo? Same on the inside.

Make sure to check the O.A.L.; those 125 gr. Noslers appear to be seated flush with the bottom of the case neck. Not that this isn't a good place to be but ensure magazine fit for cartridge length and also that those perfectly long, sleek 6.5 bullet-oes aren't encroaching into the lands; it'll drive pressure straight up; epecially with a quicker burning powder like VarGet. If you leave the bullets there (your call) also ensure you check (at the range or a safe place) functioning; by cycling a magazine full through the rifle, you don't want one of those bullets to get caught in the lands.

I use the same bullet (like Naki-h) in the 6.5x55 and they penetrate like there is no tomorrow and are a real hammer on deer sized game.

Good Luck with your loads!

tu2

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
I'l never forget shooting my first reloads at the range and hoping I didn't blow myself up. I learned from reading so I wasn't sure if I missed something. Things went well and now I reload every rifle round I shoot.

Congrats on a great hobby!

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a Hornady OAL guage and bullet comparator to set up my seating depth my Forster bullet seating die is set to 2.290 which just fits the magazine, unfortunately the Tikka magazine doesn't allow you much room to adjust the seating depth. Once I have a chance to make it to the range I will test for functionality.

The brass is factory Nosler brass. I have 100 rounds of Lapua brass on standby, hehehe! Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
good job,..hope these turn out good for you. i also load the .260 rem.
Been reloading for 32 years. and still enjoy it. i learned the basic fron my brotherinlaw, then started reading books just dont start high. start low and work up. i have not shot a factory load in a long time

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those look great. Good luck shooting them. I would give the same advise as some of the others. Start low and work up. I load for accuracy, even if it is a hunting rifle. That is almost never at the top end of the velocity numbers. If you need more speed, buy a bigger rifle. Maybe that's why I have a 6.5x55, 260, 6.5-284, 6.5-06AI and 264 Win Mag.

The 125 partition, as stated above is DEADLY! on deer of any size. Enjoy the process. You will probably find that as you load more, you will acquire more "thingys", but what you have is more than adequate.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
You did it now.

I started reloading to save money. I ended up shooting more.

I started with a simple Lee press and dies which were just fine for deer. Yet every year, I get more and more refined, to get that last little bit out of my deer rifle.

This isn't just a hobby, it can be an obsession. Enjoy!

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote