Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amateur Needs Help!
 Login/Join

posted
I've recently embarked on learning to reload and was given tips by the local gun store owner. I've developed loads for my 30-06 and competition .300 win mag. The only slight problem I've been having is maintaining a consistent COL. For example, Chuck Taylor recommended a COL of 3.395" for a certain .300 win mag cartridge, but my RCBS press can't maintain 3.395 - I might be able to produce once just on, and then the next several are + .005 or greater. I've tightened up everything there is and still can't maintain proper tolerances. What am I doing wrong? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Posts: 4 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 09 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Your press is seating to the same depth your problem is you`re measuring off the tip of the bullet instead of the ogive. If you check a couple of your bullets you`ll find no two are the same lenght, the tips get deformed or there are variations from allowed tolerances.
The best way to measure your OAL is with a comparator, Stoney Point and Sinclair both make good ones. Do a search here and you`ll find a years worth of reading on the pros and cons of both and how to use them.

[ 07-09-2003, 08:48: Message edited by: Ol` Joe ]

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OL'Joe is right on the money. Just for kix, pick a dozen bullets at random from the same box, and measure them. You'll find .003" to.005" difference isn't uncommon.

packrat

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These guys are right on. Get something like a Stony Point. It will change your whole outlook.

I forgot to add, that I measure and sort my bullets with the Stony Point before I load them. Not required for hunting loads, but who said reloaders were sane?

[ 07-09-2003, 20:53: Message edited by: RogerK ]

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The stoney point is worth every penny. When adjusting there is spring in any press too. Make a dummy roound for the lenght you want and then you use for that bullet every time

Heath

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't worry about it. The difference is in the nose which doesn't touch anything anyway. Your measurement is to the ogive, not the tip. You can measure your bullets to the tip before reloading them and divide accordingly by length, then reload them in batches according to length, but it's not really necessary. There's no harm done. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote