New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long life for dies?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My RCBS pistol dies have loaded thousands of rounds of ammunition. I am wondering how long they should last. Does anyone have some input on how long they should last, or how many your dies have loaded?

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I've got some pretty old dies w/ 10s of 1,000s of rounds loaded. As long as you don't introduce grit into them, they should out live you. Eeker

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerLoad with them, keep them clean and they will last until the old coffen door is slammed on you! I have know some people who passed dies down from Grand Father, Father, son and grand son and are still doing well!

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as you lube the cases and clean the dies once in awhile....you should be good to go.

I posed that question to the techs at RCBS ref. some 375 H&H dies I've had since 1977 and they replied as above.

They did say I could send them the dies with 3 fired cases and they would check things out for me, no charge.

hth

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'd say that they cannot die through normal use, but they can be killed through abuse or neglect.

Keep them clean and dry, and clean your cases and they should outlast your kids.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7764 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote