THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

140 grain Ballistic tip and 140 Accubond.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
to anyone: i have a super accurate 140 grain bt load in my 280 ackley over 61 grains of reloader 22. the c.o.l. is 3.450. i can shoot .35 inch groups at 200 yards all day. i have ordered some 140 grain accubonds and was wondering if they will shoot to the same point of impact as the bt's. the appearence of the bullet seams to resemble the bt in that the ogive and taper is similar to the ballistic tip. does anyone know or had experience with these two bullets and what was their results or findings? my rifle is a accurized 280, 700 remington rechambered to the ackley.

Posts: 214 | Location: north carolina | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The ojive of the two bullets may look alike but they don't measure the same.

Using the 140gr B-Tips in my 7mm-08, the seater die was set to leave loaded bullets .020" off the rifling. When I switched to the 140gr Accubonds, I noticed that they were .048" off the rifling when measured with the Stoney Point bullet comparator tool.

If switching from one to the other, the seater die will need to be adjusted if you want to maintain the same distance between the bullets and the rifling.

VH

one of us
posted Hide Post
There's no way to know other than to try them. I'm guessing they'll be close, however it is unlikely they will shoot to the same POI. Minute differences in bullet construction can have a big effect.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I switched from BT to ABs in my 270's and 280's. I didn't change a thing with the load and the velocities and POI was almost identical. Your results may vary.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Charlie said! After adjusting the actual seating depth to give same bullet jump I left everything else alone, and right in the same hole. With my 15 year old A-Bolt it din't even matter, same impact at 100 & 200. I guess the shoot pretty similarly for me.!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote