New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it true?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A fellow told me yesterday that Barnes is no longer making XLC's.

Willie B

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NO they are still making a few.

You can't kill them setting on the couch.

Posts: 413 | Location: Roamin' the U.S. for Uncle Sam. | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but not the ones we all need. Stock up on 7mm, .30 and .338 cal for sure. They are not making many calibers and will probably stop making all sooner rather than later. I have been buying the 168gr .30 cal. and 185gr .338 cal. when I see them.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pardon me for asking, but what do you guys like about the older XLCs that is not found in the newer T/Ss or Barnes new MRXs?

I ask because I am planning on giving the T/Ss as well as the new MRXs a try.

I had avoided the Barnes X bullet line because of all the bad press they received concerning fowling.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
1. If you start with a meticulously clean barrel, Barnes bullets do not foul excessively.

2. The XLCs actually do give one a little more velocity. They also don't have the grooves like the Triple Shocks and thus are more securely held in the case neck. They unfortunately discontinued the 7mm 140 gr. XLCs; fortunately, I managed to aquire about 600 of them which may be a lifetime supply if I use them prudently.

3. I will probably never try the MRXs. I think they're a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I'm all for trying different bullets but at the price of the MRXs, I'm going to pass.

The thing I don't like about Barnes, other than the expense, is that they keep changing things. About the time you work up a load you like, they'll either change the bullet or discontinue it.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote