New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sending handloads interstate?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have handloaded some custom -'06 rounds for my brother in law in another state. Am I correct that I need an FFL to send the ammo interstate. I do not have one, so may I have an FFL agent send it for me (if they will)?

Any guidance would be very helpful from those in the know. It would be from Oregon to Ohio.

Thanks,
ScottW

SCI, NRA Life Member

Warm trails and blue skies!

one of us
posted Hide Post
No FFL needed. The requirement for an FFL to receive ammunition and components was dropped a number of years ago and now only applies to firearms or firearms receivers.

Some shippers may not accept live ammunition (the Post Office). Others may or may not classify it as hazardous materials and require a hazmat fee. As far as I know, UPS accepts it without classifying it as hazardous. If you just wanted to ship a single primer or a teaspoonful of powder, that would require a hazmat fee. Go figure.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UPS definitely considers loaded ammunition as hazardous materials.

Handloads may be shipped, but must go by ground. The box must be marked: ORMD, Small Arms Ammunition, and a hazmat fee applies. An individual may not take it to a UPS office for shipment. It must be picked up by UPS at business that has a regular UPS shipping account.

Your best bet is to go to your gunshop and ask them to ship it for you. They can do it, it is legal, and there are no problems if you do it correctly. Been there, done that, and am simply trying to save you time and heartburn, not to mention potential trouble.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
Scott,
Not being a smartass here at all...... have you ever bought ammo from say, Cabela's? Should answer your FFL question right there.

It's still America. In spite of what the politicians want.

Trophyman

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI
California Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
Drive a 69 Chevelle SS396

Posts: 145 | Location: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I send ammo by the USPS and have never had any problems.

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenixdawg:

Also my experience. Sharpsguy must have run into a local UPS clerk that misinterprets their policies. The mail order suppliers (Midway, Grafs, etc.) ship ammunition all of the time via UPS, and I'll assure you, they don't charge you a hazmat fee or small lots would be cost prohibitive.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hazmat fees are not required for bullets, ammo or even for primed cases. They are required, however, for loose primers and powder.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:

I thought shipping ammo by USPS was illegal?

Am I wrong or did they change the rules?

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

You are not wrong. It is illegal to ship ammo via the US Postal service.

I am certain it happens accidentally all the time but none the less it is illegal.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
quote:

I thought shipping ammo by USPS was illegal?

Am I wrong or did they change the rules?

Correct -- United Parcel Service, not United States Postal Service, is the carrier that ships ammunition. I assume that Fedex does also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a cartridge collector and I ship and receive ammunition all the time.

It must go UPS or FedEx Ground only. It is not classed as hazardous but it must be labeled as ORM-D Small Arms Cartridges. It usually has to be dropped off at a UPS or FedEx facility although some UPS Stores in very small towns will take it also. If you have an account, a UPS driver can accept it.

Now, when you are dealing with people in large cities you MAY get all kinds of answers and comments. You can argue with them and may even be able to win. But it's usually best to simply go to another facility.

It is ILLEGAL to ship anything but inert cartridges and/or empty, unprimed, cases or loose bullets through USPS. I know that guys do otherwise and get away with it, but is it worth a fine, confiscation, and worse?

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
-
quote:

You havent been caught. If you do get caught you will be charged with a felony

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Handloads may be shipped, but must go by ground. The box must be marked: ORMD, Small Arms Ammunition, and a hazmat fee applies. An individual may not take it to a UPS office for shipment. It must be picked up by UPS at business that has a regular UPS shipping account.

ORMD is correct

Hazmat is not correct
UPS pick up is not required.

Go read UPS regulations.
Go read the federal regulations.
Many UPS employees do not know either.
They may spend half a day trying to find something that says they can't.
The UPS rules should be more explicit.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I ship ammo frequently. When I first shipped some ammo a few years back, I called UPS and spoke with the proper department.

They told me it must go UPS ground and to label it:

[ORM-D] "Cartridges, small arms"

on all sides of the package with a permanent marker. Been doing it that way w/o a hitch. I either request a pickup or ship it at work and UPS never says anything about it.

Funny thing is when I order ammo it hardly ever has that labeling.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote