New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hercules Reloaders Guide
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was reading an article the other day, the author said he had loaded 25 gn of 2400 behind the speer 150 gn SPBT bullet giving 2280 f.p.s in his 24" barrel.

He said the load was from the Hercules Reloaders Guide ?? Im currently interested in trying out some moderate loads..........

If any one hear has this guide i would be most interested in data for .308 and 2400 powder......

Anyone help ??

Englander

Posts: 193 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Englander -

Try Alliant's (Hercules) website http://www.alliantpowder.com/ and look for their guide. They have data for the 308 at http://recipes.alliantpowder.com/rg.taf?_function=centerfire&step=1 Hopefully that link works. They have a load listed there for 25.0 grains of 2400 in Federal case with F210 primer, producing 2,215 FPS with 150 grain Sierra spitzer at 2.600" OAL in a 24" barrel, at 36.7 KPSI.

They also offer a downloadable reloading guide, which I just downloaded. I'm still trying to figure out how to look at it [Confused] It takes up the whole screen, and, is turned 90 degrees.

Okay, heck with it, I just hit CTRL-P and printed the darn thing. So there.

R-WEST

[ 02-19-2003, 19:43: Message edited by: R-WEST ]

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R-WEST:

They also offer a downloadable reloading guide, which I just downloaded. I'm still trying to figure out how to look at it [Confused]

R-WEST

The file is hard to view on the screen. I found it was just easier to print it out.

Information for others that may not know:

The Alliant guide can be downloaded from their web site at the following link:
http://www.alliantpowder.com/guide/reloader.pdf

You will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader program to view the file. (Files ending in ".pdf" are Acrobat files.) The Acrobat Reader can be downloaded for free at:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

-Bob F.

[ 02-19-2003, 19:44: Message edited by: BFaucett ]

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Bob -

I have the latest Acrobat reader, and don't have trouble with other ".pdf" files. Did you download the new guide, yet? Is it turned on its side? Maybe it's just me - the wife's always telling me I look at things a little differently [Smile]

On my printout of the new guide, I see a big hole where R12 used to be [Frown] [Frown] and, no listing for R10. A number of guys have mentioned not being able to find R10, or being able to get anticipated ship dates for it from Alliant. Wonder what's up with that?

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R-WEST:
Bob -

I have the latest Acrobat reader, and don't have trouble with other ".pdf" files. Did you download the new guide, yet? Is it turned on its side? Maybe it's just me - the wife's always telling me I look at things a little differently [Smile]

On my printout of the new guide, I see a big hole where R12 used to be [Frown] [Frown] and, no listing for R10. A number of guys have mentioned not being able to find R10, or being able to get anticipated ship dates for it from Alliant. Wonder what's up with that?

R-WEST

Well, I downloaded the file that is currently on Alliant's web site. However, I think the currently available guide is from 2001. The guide isn't dated (in the content of the file) but I think it hasn't changed since 2001. I could be wrong though. I seem to recall downloading it a couple of years ago. I compared that file with the one that's currently available and they look to be the same.

Yes, some of the pages are formatted in landscape mode (sideways) in order to fit more info across the page.

RL12 has been discontinued. I don't think the guide is new enough (I suspect it's from 2001 as I said above) to include RL10. I'm not sure what's up with RL10. I haven't tried to find any.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I'm reading from the 1992 Edition of the Hercules Reloader's Guide. The load shown for "Hercules 2400" is 25.0g @2215fps, 36,700 c.u.p., using Federal 210 primers, 2.6" OAL, out of a 24" bbl.

Their guide, as in Alliant's guide after they took over, provides that you start at 10% below the listed max load, and work up carefully.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote