Find
Notify
Tools

ES problem in 35 Whelen: solved!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted
Just got back from the "range" testing my new loads for the 35 Whelen.

Changing "the load" cut the ES in half for TAC (to under 50). RL15 had an ES of 31, but very disappointing in both velocity and accuracy.

Benchmark rocked as far as velocity, and was also acceptably consistant (ES of 32). Accuracy, however.., I was short a shot on the target....

The clear winner, to my complete surprise, was...... 3031. ES of 13, 2600+ fps, and groups a third the size of RL15 (1.3", 3x scope).

The difference was NOT the powder, it was the seating depth. I shortened the AOL by .1, as suggested by the Tech line at Sierra, and that did the trick. Sometimes I get in such a "rut" about "seating as long as possible" that I don't see the forest for the trees...... FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
I'm glad things worked out for you, Dutch. I think IMR 3031 is one of the most often overlooked powders out there.

I think it's pretty much the ultimate powder for the .243 Winchester in most bullet weights.

You may or may not be familiar with my loading process, but I adjust OAL as the final step in tuning a load.

Some of the best shooting loads I know of are backed off of the lands quite a bit. I believe that there is more than enough adjustment in seating depth alone to get onto any barrel's best harmonic node. This allows for the optimal amount of powder to be used in the recipe at hand.

Dan Newberry
green 788

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Dan, I don't know what it is about 3031, but it seems to work in the Whelen! I originally bought it to use in the PPC, but never could get acceptable accuracy with it there, and the long sticks make it hard to work with in the 223.

I had discounted it in the Whelen because it is so far ahead of "ideal" powders such as 4064, Varget and RL15 on the burn rate charts. I'm starting to be more and more skeptical of charts, especially with "straight" cartridges like the Whelen. It seems like relative burning rates change, significantly, in straight cases. The tech guys at Sierra suggested it, so I loaded up a set.

Anyway, I'm a happy camper: accuracy, consistency and velocity coming together at once. Reloader bliss.

As an aside, I have to admit that 35 full-house rounds out of a Whelen in the morning "rocks your world". I love it. Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Dutch, would you mind posting the bullet weight/velocities (and bbl. length) of your Whelen loads... I'd be real interested as I'm thinking of a "stretched" 350 RM (3.00" magazine, 20" bbl.)... 35 Whelen loads would be a good starting place for a stretched 350 which would have a tad more capacity than the standard Whelen.

Thanks!

Brad

<Mark C. Kimmell>
posted
I have a T/C Encore 15" 35 Whelen handgun I use for elk hunting. My load is a Hornady 250gr. round nose using 49.0grs of IMR 3031 with a Fed.Gold Match large rifle primer. I get five shots in one ragged hole at 50yds. off the bench with a Leopold 2x eer scope. I chronographed it at 2100 fps. out of a 15" barrel and the extreme spread was 14fps. I shot a cow elk with it several years ago at 80yds. and she went down like a freight train hit her. Mark [Smile]

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Brad, sounds like a fun project. I can give you some rough ideas on velocities and powders, but realize it's my experience in one gun only. I started with 4064 behind 250 Speer hot cores, but the velocity ranged from 2200 to 2400 fps (!). Fortunately, my moose did not care it was shot by an underpowered load, and accuracy was good.

Life was simpler before I owned a chronograph....

I shoot a 7600 with a 22" barrel. I tried using the 225 gr. Sierra's, in an attempt to get a little more velocity to allow for over 250 yard shots. The manual that came closest to my actual observations was Barnes #2. Most of my velocities are within 50 fps of their numbers with their 225 gr. bullet.

The Sierra tech advised strongly against taking RL15 up to 60 (their max is 55 gr and 2600 fps with that powder), but obviously there is a large difference in lots, because 56 gr. produced less than 2500 in my gun. Accuracy was disappointing, so I never pushed it up.

Benchmark was the surprise. It's burn rate is between H322 and H4895, again, a little fast burning for the Whelen. I got 2675 with 56 gr., and no problems with extractions or other pressure signs. Unfortunately, accuracy was a little more than I'd like to see. Likewise, I got 2600 with 56 gr. of Tac, but no satisfaction in accuracy. Varget was pretty good, accuracy wise, but 57 gr. gave only 2505 fps.

Remember, none of these loads are tested, and some aren't in ANY book. No warranty expressed or implied, and expect typos. HTH, Dutch.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch:

Life was simpler before I owned a chronograph....

Now ain't that the truth! Thank's for taking the time to share your loads.

Brad